CZ nickel VS stainless

vikingextreme93

Just curious who has seen the two together and how the finish compares? I can only find the Nickel in local shops and having trouble deciding betweent the two?

Bill DeShivs

Stainless is not a "finish." It is stainless steel with out any coating.
Nickel is a plated finish, generally applied over carbon steel.
Nickel is durable, but stainless more so.

madmag

Like Bill said. But you will probably never notice the wear difference for most normal situations. I would not let it being stainless or nickel be the deciding factor.

If you like the gun and the looks, then make the purchase.

LanceOregon

The stainless models are hard to find, as they are in high demand.

CZ just came out with a brand new Stainless Limited Edition, which is even nicer yet. These are even harder to find. But they are available for purchase from the CZ Custom Shop.

The price is $700, and it is one gorgeous gun:

IMG_6739.JPG

See this web page for more info:

http://czcustom.com/cz75b9stlimiteded.aspx

--

Walt Sherrill

I like the satin nickel finish better than stainless. (I've had several CZs in that finish, and still have an 85 Combat in satin nickel.)

You may want to investigate some more -- as there's more than just the finish or steel that's different. Some of the newer models (and the Stainless models are newer) have different features, like reversible mag releases, and ambidextrous safeties.

You may want to visit the CZ Forum (do a google search) for the details, or see the CZ USA Website.

vikingextreme93

thanks for the advise, fully aware of the two different properties of the so called "finishes" Technically speaking however they are in fact finishes sorry I didnt realize I needed to be so darn selective in how I say things....nickel yes plated is quite polished however stainless typically can be finished in several ways like say in a knife (sorry I am more a knife junky than a gun) so that is what I was kind of comparing.

I was wondering if the FINISH on the Stainless is quite polished or moreso of a "working " finish and if how good the FINISH on the nickel is done (well polished no pot marks ETC)

ZeSpectre

Why? WHY? do you people post pictures like that Limited Edition ? Are you TRYING to kill me? :D

Initially the only reason I bought my "Satin Nickel" CZ-75b is that they don't make a .40 S&W in stainless. But I have decided that the Nickel is a a really pretty finish and does seem to be quite durable.

CZ-75bSatin_001.jpg

Walt Sherrill

Technically speaking however they are in fact finishes sorry I didnt realize I needed to be so darn selective in how I say things....

Actually, as I understand it, the term "finish" when used with guns, is an applied coating of some sort. And the stainless CZ guns don't have that. So, technically they aren't finishes.

EAA/Witness calls one of their finishes "Wonder Finish", but make it clear, when discussing that WONDER "finish," that it isn't really a finish at all, but a treatment -- a hardening process. They differentiate between finishes and non-finishes.

The stainless CZ guns are available in three levels of polish: matte, low-luster, highly polished. The problem is finding them.

And as I wrote earlier, the two types of CZs being discussed come with different features -- and whether you buy a stainless metal gun or nickel plated one will determine the features you get. There is more different in those guns than just the metal/finish. Even the caliber changes the features a bit. That may end up being more important than how they look. Some have full-length guide rods, some don't, some have the extended rails, some don't, some have ambi-dextrous safeties and some don't; there are other differences.

You'll notice that the slide on the .40 CZ above has rails all the way to the end of the slide, while the 9mm above it doesn't. That .40 will have a full-length guide rod, and the 9mm won't. The .40 SA will, the 9mm SA won't; but beavertails on those models will be different, too.

The nickel finish probably resists minor scratches better than stainless, but stainless will be easier to repair if you get a bad boo-boo. (Not much you can do with the nickel finish if it's badly damaged. But I've never seen nor heard of that happening.)

Last edited: