CZ Fans. What do you think?

DBAR

I took my CZ 85 Combat to the range the other day, and the factory adjustable rear sight broke. So, I called a friend of mine that works at CZ USA. He comes by and takes a look to see what happened, and we find that a tiny roll pin has broken. He took the slide to work with him, and had them put another rear sight on it. I asked for a more robust rear sight, and they suggested a fixed competition rear sight. It cost me a little change, but it was worth it to me. I never did like how delicate the factory adjustable rear sight was.

Thoughts? It seems to shoot fine. I hope I don't have to do anything else to it. So far, I've replaced the front, and rear sights, did a trigger job, and replaced the grips.

CZ85RSIGHT.jpg

DBAR

pilpens

The front sight is OK but the rear sight does not seem like the it belongs on the pistol.
As long as you are happy with it, it is all good.

DBAR

The front sight is OK but the rear sight does not seem like the it belongs on the pistol.

I know, but the rear of the slide has some machining done to it behind the dovetail cut to allow for the adjustable sight. So I had to go with something to try and cover it. The factory standard iron sight for the 75's would of really looked out of place.

DBAR

EAJ702

The front and rear sights look identical to the sights on my custom shop SP-01 Tactical. I like them.

cz75sp01_7.jpg

DBAR

EAJ702,

My 85 looks like an imitation of your SP-01, and wouldn't you know it. The competition hammer is the next thing on my list.

DBAR

LUPUS

DBAR, a very nice CZ you got there. The plain black Angus Competetion sights are among the best, especially for long range shooting and they are rock solid durable. The front sights with colored inserts are very useful for practical shooting applications. Angus sights are the ones that satisfied me the most among the ones I tried. I am sure you will be pleased with your new sights.

CZ Competetion hammer is a must for the shooters who are looking for the the best trigger pull without the hammer camming. The recesses of the competetion hammer are designed and cut to eliminated the hammer camming of CZs. You can also adjust the take up distance for the hammer fall by adjusting the depth of the recesses. And with your CZ 85 without a firing pin block and the lower leg of the firing pin block lever you will already have a better and shorter trigger reset distance than the B version.

When I added the Angus sights, competetion hammer, slim alloy grips with just a little bit polishing the internals in my CZ 75 B and take out the firing pin block and its lever, it was just a joy shoot it.

Best.

azredhawk44

Don't like it.

(Geez, that's candid!):D

I don't like adjustable sights, and I don't like rear sights that are so big that they begin to make finding the front sight a chore.

You just went from the first type to the second type.

At least... I don't like sights like that on any handgun I carry for routine personal protection. My magnum revolvers have adjustables since my loads in them can vary from 1800fps 180gr loads to 1000fps 240gr loads to 1200fps 300gr loads... all with extremely different trajectories and POI at 25 yards.

I'd say to swap it out for a fixed sight that doesn't try to punch you in the nose... but it sounds like you've got a slide that has been milled for big blocky sights.

Nothing for it but to buy a new CZ, I guess.;)

LUPUS

but it sounds like you've got a slide that has been milled for big blocky sights.
Angus and CZ fixed competetion sights are cut to fit directly to the standard factory slide with standard dovetails. Best.

DBAR

azredhawk44,

I really don't like the looks either, but I use this 9mm mainly for the range, and the occasional 3 gun match. I just didn't want a delicate rear sight like the orginal one. This sight gives me a good sight picture. I did the trigger job myself, but the competition hammer is probably a better choice. I went with the 85 Combat, because I have that damn left eye dominace problem that makes me shoot better from the left side. The ambi controls really make a big difference for me. Besides, it was the only Blued CZ that I've seen in a long time.

Thanks,
DBAR

schmeky

I have the CZ Custom Shop Tactical/Competition sights with FO fronts on 4 of my CZ's. They are the best on the market. You can't judge a sight from it's profile; it has to be judged from the shooters perspective, and in that regard, the sight picture is outstanding.

The Tactical Sight has a different profile, looks more streamlined, and has beveled edges; this is the one I prefer.

These sights are machined from bar stock, beautifully made, indestructable, and fit directly on the slide with no machining necessary. This is the Tactical on my CZ-97.

DBAR - that's a gorgeous 85, the blue is pretty rare, better hang on to that one.

img0749.jpg

Cliff47

I don't think that I have ever liked adjustable sights on a handgun. The sights you have on your CZ85 Combat look downright appropriate! If it to be a Combat model,you don't want adjustable sights that can get knocked out of alignment. Businesslike, all business.

When I was getting my Hi-Power worked on, I went with the Novak tritium sights, and love them. When I got my CZ75B, I had a set of novak-style tritium sights put on my pistol by a local gunsmith. He had to mill the ridge off of the slide to the rear of the dovetail, but other than that, they slid right on.

Good on 'ya, she's a beauty!

Webleymkv

Are you using the standard factory recoil spring? CZ's are known to sometimes have underpowered recoil springs from the factory. Because the slide comes back too fast due to underpowered springs, things like slide stops and sight pins are known to sometimes break (this may explain why you had a problem in the first place). If you haven't already, I'd reccomend replacing the recoil spring with an aftermarket one from Wolff of at least 14lb (that's what factory standard is supposed to be). I put a 16lb spring in my 75B and it was 100% on my last range trip with American Eagle 147grn FMJ (not a particularly hot load) although the spent casings somtimes brushed my right arm. I went with a slightly heavier spring because my carry ammo is Winchester +P+ Rangers, so if you plan on shooting any reduced power loadings you should probably get the 14lb spring instead.

Little Silas

Sights

Interesting information.
I don't have adjustable sights on any of my handguns, autos or revolvers.
They just seem fragile for me.
I could break an anvil.
Over the the years I've never seen a need for adjustable sights on my handguns. If one didn't shoot to point I took it to a gunsmith.
I must say though, I don't shoot competition. Just range shooting.
My new CZ 75B with the stock tritium sights which came with the gun do fine.
On mine they did not cost extra. I've played with them a little and I would not pay extra for them. Seems that they need "charging" every day and are not that visable anyway to me.
On my carry guns, I use Crimson Trace. That's a whole different story.
For the fun of it, one night I took one of my carry guns outside and lit up a street sign about a 150 yards away.

DBAR

Are you using the standard factory recoil spring? CZ's are known to sometimes have underpowered recoil springs from the factory. Because the slide comes back too fast due to underpowered springs, things like slide stops and sight pins are known to sometimes break (this may explain why you had a problem in the first place). If you haven't already, I'd reccomend replacing the recoil spring with an aftermarket one from Wolff of at least 14lb (that's what factory standard is supposed to be). I put a 16lb spring in my 75B and it was 100% on my last range trip with American Eagle 147grn FMJ (not a particularly hot load) although the spent casings somtimes brushed my right arm. I went with a slightly heavier spring because my carry ammo is Winchester +P+ Rangers, so if you plan on shooting any reduced power loadings you should probably get the 14lb spring instead.

I replaced the recoil springs when I purchased the gun. I also replaced the mag springs. I ck them all the time. The springs are not what caused the rear sight to break.

DBAR