CZ durability?

I am very impressed with the great accuracy and overall quality of the CZ line--specifically the CZ 75 and CZ 97. In fact, even the .40 cal CZ 75 version I recently tried was a tackdriver--and I generally don't shoot the .40 well. If these guns are durable, I plan on getting one (probably the 97 first and then the 75 in 9mm). I just want to make sure that it is a durable design. I don't want to invest in a gun that won't hold up to lots of shooting. I am very disapointed in my Sigs for that reason. My P239 has held up well (no problems so far), but my P228 has moderate frame rail gouging and signs of a frame heirline crack forming (I have less than 7,000 rounds through it). I would like opinions on if the CZ line is as fragile as some Sigs seem to be.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
They will take it...

Hello, sir. I cannot speak to the durability of the CZ-97 as I've never even handled one of those, but I have owned several CZ-75s that I began acquiring in the early '80s. I still have and shoot them.

It's only in the last few years that these pistols were not fed a constant diet of either 115 gr JHP/124 gr JHP loaded to well over 1200 ft/sec. Each gun's gone through thousands upon thousands of these handloads as well as cast/plated bullet reloads at somewhat lower velocities.

In the last few years, I've put quite a lot of the cheap, commercially-loaded ball rounds through these pistols.

A few years ago, I began using Wolff 18 lb conventional recoil springs in my CZs, but had just gone with the factory springs until then.

To this day, I've not replaced a single part and wear, while present, is more of just a wiping away of the blue on internal parts. The bbl's are still plenty good, but I rigorously clean them any time I shoot the gun.

I think the CZs are well-made, durable pistols.

Best.

Mylhouse

Dude,

Are you kidding me? You've already looked at it, fired it, and felt it...the thing is built like a brick $h#&house! You know how tough a Makarov is? Well, the CZ is in that league and maybe then some. Those old Commie Eastern Bloc countries made their pistols to THRIVE on abuse and HOT, DIRTY ammo. My NUKE loads won't even FAZE a CZ!

My main shooting buddy (also a TFL member) has gone to nothing but CZs and Maks after shooting mine. He also has a P7, but I can't take credit for that. :)

Mylhouse,

I appreciate your helpful response; however, I cannot go by looks and feel alone (to determine durability). My Sig 228 looks well built and sturdy yet the damn frame rails are going (with under 7000 rounds).

Ledbetter

Quant

I have shot well over 2500 rounds through my CZ-75BD and it honestly looks like it's just getting broken in. It's as tight and accurate (and more reliable) than the day I bought it. The finish is like new. If you don't have a CZ, you owe it to yourself. I am confident mine will last a lifetime at least.

Regards.

The CZ steel frame is going to last much longer than an aluminum frame such as on your Sig. It is heavier though.

Agreed, but I think even an alloy frame should hold up better than my Sig 228 has. I like the heavier weight of the steel frames BTW (better stability and recoil absorption).

You all have been very helpful. I am going to go with a CZ 97 B soon and later get the CZ 75 in 9mm.

BB

The CZ75 was designed to be able to shoot subgun 9mm ammo, which is pretty darn HOT.

Tecolote

CZ75s Just Keep on Going

I don't know about the CZ75Bs, but the CZ75 are tough as nails. Several Latin American countries issue the CZ75, and in once case the CZ75s got the exact same ammo as their Beretta and UZI subguns, IMI 115 grs +P. During the 1980s this same military transitioned away from the CZ75 to the SIG Sauer P226. Make no mistake, the P226 is an awesome pistol, accurate and reliable beyond belief, but they couldn't take constant use with subgun ammo. Some of the frames began to exhibit hairline cracks. Back came the CZ75s and out went the P226s. I've seen CZ75s that have had thousands of +P ammo fired through them without signs of excessive wear. I'm talking about pistols that are nearly all metal grey because of loss of blueing due to rain and humidity but mechanically they were absolutely sound.

UK2TX

I have a black polymer finish CZ85 Combat with a CZ75 Kadet .22LR converstion kit.

I have shot about 10,000 .22LR and about 5,000 9mm through it in about 9 months, the only problem I have had is the trigger spring lost some tension so when firing .22LR the reset was slow, funny thing was that when firing 9mm the trigger always reset.

Shipped it back to Mike at CZ-USA and he replaced the spring and upgraded the .22LR firing pin to the new rectangluar shape.

I fire lapped the barrel when I first got the gun and it's as accurate today as it was when I first tried it.

Great gun

UK2TX

Joe Klug

Of all the pistols I own the one I absolutely don't worry about durability problems with is the CZ. Of course, my CZ's are also the only steel frame pistols I own so maybe that's it.:) I just trust the CZ steel over the various alloys and plastic (polymer) in the safe.

Joe

WESHOOT2

I cannot speak to CZ durability, but I can offer my EAA Witness experience as to design durability.

I have one 9mm frame that's had over 25,000 rds through it, many of them Major 9 (no, NOT compensated, just the regular top end).
My other 9mm frame has over 30,000 through it, including 9x19 (yes, some Major 9), 9x21 comp'ed , 40 S&W, and 41AE.

The design, with its enclosed full-length rails, dual-bar trigger, and robust sear assembly, has never missed a beat.

Want to buy a CZ97 someday.....