CZ Duo question

Zathras

I picked up this Duo 25 acp about 2 years ago. according to the markings, it was manufactured in 1941. in reading whatever history I can find on this gun, The Germans took over The companies factory once they took over Czechoslovakia in 1939, and produced these from then on until the end of the war.. There are no nazi markings on it but based on the history, I would assume this was made by the Germans based on the stamped date, even though it doesn't have the German corrected spelling stamp of the town ( opotchno). Before the occupation, the town stamp was spelled "opocno", as this pistol has on it. anyone Know??

Thanks

Attachments

• Duo mine00.JPG
    Duo mine00.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 45

Walt Sherrill

I know the Germans were reputed to take everything they confiscated or took over (like arms factories) and rounted it all to their war machine, but I can't understand the value of a .25 ACP weapon for military use. (Executing prisoner?) I would expect any weapon turned over to the military (from a captured arms factory) to have Waffenamt markings.

Nice little gun, but I've had two .25s and no more. (Also had a .22 short semi-auto from the same general era.) They're novelties, to be sure, and some of them are examples of fine worksmanship. I'll go for larger calibers if only because it's easier to find ammo. :)

If you haven't checked there, the CZ Forum has some folks that seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this little weapon.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=48723.0

cpt-t

DUO PISTOL

I have a DUO Pistol, that my Uncle brought back from WW-2. And IMHO the little gun is in very good condicition and very well made. I have shot this pistol alot, pretty much all my life, and I turned 72 the 20th of Oct. My gun really shoots very well for it`s size and type of pistol it is. I am always on the look out for 25cal ammo at Estate Sales, Auctions, LGS Closures. You never know when you will run into 2 or 3 box`s of 25cal for it cheap. Like I said I shoot mine and I think it is a hoot to shoot. I can`t ever remember having a single problem with it, other than old or bad ammo. Mine has no Nazi stamps or marks on it. And I have always been led to belive my gun is Pre War made. Because what is stamped on the left side of the slide F DUSEK, OPOTSCHNO. But any way I shoot mine quite a bit and just enjoy it. I shot a box full of ammo thru it a few weeks ago, and the little gun worked great just like it always has, and it is alot more accurate than most people belive is possible.
ken

James K

Member In Memoriam
The pistol was originally produced before WWII (1926 by some sources) for sale in Europe. The DUO apparently stands for "Dusek, Opocno" At the time of the German occupation, it was the largest private arms factory in Czechoslovakia (CZ was government owned). The company cooperated with the occupation forces, though Frantisek Dusek himself refused to do so.

Note that I did not say Dusek was the designer; the designer was John Browning, the DUO being almost identical with the FN Model 1906 and the Colt Vest Pocket, so much that some internal parts will interchange.

Well over 100,000 pistols were made up to 1945, most during the war. They were very popular with German officers, who were allowed to buy and carry their own pistols, and most of those in the U.S. were taken from Germans and brought back by American GI's. The DUO was never an issue handgun and was never purchased by the Wehrmacht, so they will not have WaffenAmt markings. The proof marking, a lion over the letter N, is the Czech commercial Nitro (smokeless powder) proof, not a Nazi marking

After the Communist takeover in 1948, the Dusek factory was closed and production was moved to the state-owned Czeska Zbrojovka factory in Uhersky Brod. At that time, the trademark was changed from "DUO" to "Z", and a few were sold in the U.S. before Iron Curtain imports were banned.

One source says that in the 1930's Dusek made the same gun under the names Ideal, Singer, and Jaga. I am inclined to doubt that; both Ideal and Singer were names used by Spanish makers.

Jim

Zathras

Thanks for all the info, however My question seems elusive. My Duo is stamped "41" which means it was made in 1941. so to me, does that denote that it was made by the Germans after they took over Czechoslovakia in 1939??

James K

Member In Memoriam
No. The Germans didn't "make" the DUO, the original factory remained in operation, under its own management (except for Dusek himself, who refused to work with the occupation forces).

They sold pistols to the Germans and, presumably, to any Czechs who were approved by the Nazis. The sales to Germans were private sales, not sales to the German government or army; AFAIK the company had no German contract and there were no WaffenAmt inspectors at the plant. The factory was not, again AFAIK, assigned a German ordnance code, as contractors were.

Jim

gyvel

German ordnance code for the Duo was "aek," although it was apparently never used on the actual guns.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Thanks for the correction, gyvel. I never saw it on the guns and assumed (you know what that means) that they didn't assign one because they didn't contract with the factory.

The Germans did not have a standard way of dealing with arms makers in occupied territories. In Belgium, German companies had financial interests in FN, so it was treated better than some other companies which were simply shut down. In Hungary, which was an ally of Germany, FEG was treated like a German contractor. In Austria, which was considered part of Germany, Steyr was run as a private contractor, not much different from Walther or Mauser, and given a high degree of trust. (For example, Radom, in Poland, was allowed to continue manufacture of P.35(p) pistols, but the barrel making machinery was sent to Steyr. Radom parts were sent to Steyr to be mated with Steyr-made barrels and finished. That kept the Polish resistance from obtaining working pistols through factory leakage.)

Jim