CZ Diagnosis?

Destructo6

My CZ-75 has a problem. I have, what I believe is, an extractor problem and want to run it by some knowledgeable people.

The result of the stoppage is an empty case in the chamber blocking a loaded cartridge that's half-in/half-out of the magazine. Sometimes the empty gets out of the chamber, but is caught by the slide before being ejected (partial ejection, but not stovepipe). Sometimes I can run several magazines through it without a problem.

Is this a damaged or dirty extractor problem? Weak extractor spring? I'd take the extractor out and clean it, but I can't figure out how to do so (the pivot pin won't budge).

Could this also be a too strong/too weak recoil spring (the spring is original as is the steel guide rod)?

I've tried several different brands of ammo and get the same result. I love this pistol, but my confidence in using it as a defensive arm is diminishing.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. It's difficult to diagnose from a distance, but here goes. Yes, it does appear that an extraction/ejection problem could exist. However, what type ammunition are you having problems with? CZ75s work best with full loads. I know that the South African ball I've been shooting can be iffy in some of my CZs, but they work flawlessly with warmer ball factory loads as well as handloads. Try some different ammunition and see what shakes out before spending money on repairs that may not be necessary. If this is not the cause of the problem, it will not be hard to fix. Rest assured that when the problem, whatever it is, is corrected, you'll have one of the most reliable autopistols out there. Good luck and best.

MRH

Honestly -- I have exactly the same problem with a CZ-27 (just a little older), and have been wondering if I need a new magazine or recoil spring. I'm willing to spend about $30 on it and no more. I just like it because of its history. Does this about 2 out of every 5 rounds, more often if I hold it in a tight grip. Go figure.