CZ Custom shop questions for people who have used them

davidsoc

Almost all of their guns right now say on order with no specified time frame.

For anyone who has ordered a pistol from them how long is the usual wait time?

Also, for anyone who has used them for gunsmithing services, how long is the usual turn around time?

Thanks for any info,
David

Walt Sherrill

Why NOT contact the CZ Custom Shop and see what they say.

The situation with guns and ammo nowadays is such that what happened in the past (and that's what you'd get from folks who respond here) won't help you predict what's going on now.

Talk with them on the phone.

Patriot328

I ordered a CZ75 Shadow T Custom and a Pro Tek I from them in Jan. Got the Shadow in early Feb and the Pro Tek in early April, which was exactly what they told me.

Patriot328

Tunnelrat you might be disappointed as I got the all black version as opposed to the greenish frame. My reasoning is I think the black is more traditional and something that will stand the test of time as it's handed down to my son (and his?)

Here's a (crappy cell phone) pic of it:

IMG_2771-Copy_zps854951ea.jpg

The pic doesn't do it justice. The pistol feels incredible in the hand and the trigger is GREAT; a smooth 8 on the double and a crisp 3 and change on the single. Much more accurate than the average or above average shooter.

The only complaint I have is the night sights, actually. In daylight the rear sight stands out more than I would like, but that might be because when I shoot competitions I shoot black rear and fiber optic fronts. They of course looks great at night.

TunnelRat

Not disappointed at all, that's a sweet looking pistol friend. :cool: A custom CZ, even with just the trigger job, is at the top of my want list at the moment. Thanks for the pics!

geetarman

I have purchased 4 guns from the Custom Shop. CZ SP01, CZ97B, Dan Wesson PM9 and a Dan Wesson Valor.

I have had trigger done on both CZs as well as install night sights on both guns. They do good work. The trigger jobs and sight installation took about 4 days. They installed a FO front sight on my Smith and Wesson Pro series 1911 while I waited.

You just can't find CZs anywhere any more. The website shows almost everything is on backorder.

I was going to buy another CZ rifle but just couldn't find it anywhere. I opted, in that case, to buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint.

I have been happy with the shop. I don't know why CZs are so hard to come by today. They don't even advertise rifles on the Custom Shop website because of the shortage.

When I was looking for a Dan Wesson PM9, one of the factory shooters told me he would call when they got some in. Sure enough, he DID call and that is how I got mine. The fact they remembered to call is not lost on me.

The only thing I have seen that I did not care for was a custom .40 built for a customer who was at the range last week. It was assembled way too dry and cycling the action felt like a cement mixer crunching gravel.

I shot the gun and the trigger was super. I got the action opened up and oiled it up and cycled it and it smoothed right up. Goobered it up some more and cycled it some more and it got better.

IMO it should never have left the shop in that condition. Good thing is, it was caught after the first magazine was cycled through and corrected.

Perhaps the owner took the gun apart and did not lube it or maybe it just got away from the shop. This is not a cheap gun we are talking about either.

Luckily, there is no damage.

My guns have never been returned dry so it may have been a fluke.

I would not hesitate to use them again. Rob Bagnato and Eric Zinn take care of business.

Sometimes Angus is in the shop and it is always a hoot to talk to him.

Old 454

Hard to come by

When I go to the LGs's in my area all the used Semi's that I see are Kahrs,Glocks,Springfields, Sigs, ETC, but what I very rarely see are CZ's.

I think people that buy them tend to hang on to them and don't sell them. I bought a CZ P-07 Duty, and man I will never sell that gun, its just a damn fine shooter and feels good in the hand.

Walt Sherrill

I think people that buy them tend to hang on to them and don't sell them.

That may be true, but a more likely explanation is that CZs are just now starting to be known to the wider shooting population. (CZUB and CZ-USA are small companies that have had to start from scratch since the fall of the Communist Bloc, and they didn't have the big bucks to spend on marketing and advertizing.)

Just a few years ago, on these gun forums, darned few people even knew what a CZ was. There was, back then, no awareness of the brand, no advertizing, no shooting teams, etc. Things have changed.

That said, there are still a LOT FEWER CZs in the hands of shooters than Glocks, S&Ws, Kahrs, etc. Ten years from now I think you'll see a different story when discussing the availability of "used" CZs.

I was a senior moderator on the original CZ Forum for a bunch of years, and the thing I noticed then was that people new to handguns seemed to gravitate to CZs, while the experienced shooters (SIG owners, S&W 3rd Generation, 1911s, etc.) tended to shy away from them -- they didn't see any value in them. A lot of rifle enthusiats got a CZ as their first semi-auto pistol. That attitude and purchasing behavior has dramatically changed in the years since I left my role as moderator on the forum.

Last edited:

geetarman

while the experienced shooters (SIG owners, S&W 3rd Generation, 1911s, etc.) tended to shy away from them

I think that is true. They really flew under the radar out here in spite the CZ custom shop here in the valley.

I had never shot them until a friend of mine bought an SP01 and was wanting to shoot it.

We went to an indoor range and the gun felt pretty good but an RO told me I should shoot HIS gun that had been worked on.

That was all it took for me. The difference in a stock gun and one with the competition spring, trigger and competition hammer treatment makes a lot of difference in the guns.

I liked it so much I bought the CZ97B and had it worked on the same way.

I followed that up with the PM9 and the Valor and then saw a CZ 452 Trainer on the wall at the LGS. It was unusual in the beechwood stock and I was intrigued.

CZ makes a quality product but they do not spend any extra machine time working on cleaning up the innards. They do machine what needs to be machined to function. The level of finish will not hold a candle to a Dan Wesson or Smith and Wesson Pro series gun. On the bright side, you do not spend the dollars on them that you would for a higher end gun.

chris in va

David at Cajun Gun Works does amazing work on various CZ models if you're having a hard time finding something at the CZ custom shop.

Contrast Man

To answer the wait time question, just call them, they're super helpful. Though there is a chance that they might not know how many of an item they're getting, just when they'll receive stock from cz-usa.

Pilot

Walt is well known in CZ circles. I've owned CZ pistols since 1996 or so, and have been very happy with them over the years. I am not sure where I first heard of them, but I have an attraction for the unusual, and when the Berlin wall fell, it was nice to be able to get the former Combloc stuff that was very rare here. That included CZ products. Since then, they have offered some really interesting products that work very well, look good, and are still a good value for what you get.