CZ 97 B/BD

KMAX

I read a lot posts / responses of people raving about how wonderful their CZ 75 is, but hardly anyone ever mentions the 97B or 97BD. What is wrong with those guns? Anyone own one? What are your experiences with them? They just look like a 45 cal. version of the 75 for the most part to me. I would like to hear comments about the performance and reliability of the 97. Thanks.

shuler13

I have the 75BD and will never let it go. Absolutely love it. Haven't tried any others in the CZ family, but the trigger on this one is the best trigger on any steel gun I own outside of 1911s.

I don't know if it helps your 97BD inquiry..:

geetarman

I have a 97B. It is one of the most accurate .45s I own. It runs fine. The grips tend to loosen up. I wish it had two screws per grip panel instead of one. I had a trigger job done on mine by the CZ custom shop here in Mesa and the gun was just TOO scary light on the trigger. I had to have a little more resistance put into the trigger.

I would NOT carry this gun unless I had the missing pieces put back in to get it back to stock.

The gun is reliable and accurate. In the current configuration though, it is great for the range but not for CCW.

I have a G30 or G19 for that.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the gun again. It is really flying below the radar here in Phoenix.

Webleymkv

My dad has a 97B. His is quite accurate and has been reliable with everything he's shot through it except some remanufactured 230gr FMJ that cause problems with other guns as well. While not an issue for me, the grip is rather large and I think that may be something of a turn-off for many people. Honestly, I think that part of the reason you don't hear much about them is simply because you don't run across them all that often.

Pilot

The problem with the 97B, and many CZ's for that matter is finding them. I have seen a few 75B's, and P0-7's, and even a P-01 recently, but I haven't seen a 97B in a gun shop in a very long time.

Geetarman said:
I would NOT carry this gun unless I had the missing pieces put back in to get it back to stock.
What missing pieces? What is there about a CZ 97B that requires removing fundamental parts to do a trigger job?

LarryFlew

Have had 2 97B that where great. Sold them to get a 45 for carry. Just bought a new one in glossy blue with Nill target grips an 6 mags that is so far unfired but I have no doubt it will shoot as well as the others.

geetarman

What missing pieces? What is there about a CZ 97B that requires removing fundamental parts to do a trigger job?

When I talked to Angus, he showed me a competition gun and asked to compare trigger feel. I did and he told me he could make my gun VERY close to that by removing the pusher as opposed to just polishing it. I have the parts required to put the gun back to stock. What he did to the gun just removed a moving part that is not found in competition guns. The gun is still very light on the trigger. I would never carry this gun the way it is. I believe the technical name for the parts removed is the firing pin block and the firing pin block spring. He ( Angus ) just refers to the "pusher."

Last edited:

gmarr

Had one for years, gifted it to a co-worker who retired (LEO), was accurate and reliable just like my 75B. Don't know why it's not more popular.

geetarman said:
When I talked to Angus, he showed me a competition gun and asked to compare trigger feel. I did and he told me he could make my gun VERY close to that by removing the pusher as opposed to just polishing it. I have the parts required to put the gun back to stock. What he did to the gun just removed a moving part that is not found in competition guns. The gun is still very light on the trigger. I would never carry this gun the way it is. I believe the technical name for the parts removed is the firing pin block and the firing pin block spring. He ( Angus ) just refers to the "pusher."
I had a feeling it was the firing pin safety. Angus knows his stuff but, unless you're a nationally-ranked bullseye shooter, I seriously doubt you could tell if that safety and spring were in the gun or not. The difference is only a couple of ounces.

I wouldn't have let him take it out.

But ... it's your pistol, not mine. :p

geetarman

I seriously doubt you could tell if that safety and spring were in the gun or not. The difference is only a couple of ounces.

Actually you can feel the difference. The gun is so light now, you dare not use gloves when it is cold. You just cannot feel the hard point before the trigger breaks. Summertime and it is different. I think I will have the CZ shop reinstall the firing pin block and spring. I still will not carry that gun as a CCW. My SP01 has a little bit of positive movement on the hammer before the trigger breaks. The 97 has absolutely ZERO positive engagement.

I have a couple of friends who shoot competition and they both love the trigger. Even Angus said to me it came out better than he had expected.

I shoot with a couple of LEOs and they really like the gun. . .for the range but not for carry. I think that putting the pieces back in and perhaps swapping to a stronger spring set would make me feel better about the gun in general. For a carry piece, it is really big and there are, IMV, some much better choices. The G21, G30 and G19 come to mind as well as a P229, P220.