Cz 85

Polinese

Just picked up a used CZ 85 for a lil over four hundred at a local shop. I actually wanted a 75 or 85 when I started shopping but no one had any and those that did were asking more than what I had budgeted. Anyone else have a 75 or 85. Mine came with hogue grips which I think i'll change out for something a little slimmer. The only thing I don't like is the magazines don't drop free but I can learn to deal with it.

Walt Sherrill

I have an 85 Combat. An 85B (or an 85) is exactly the same gun as the 75B (or 75), except that it has ambidextrous controls (slide release and safety.) The 85 Combat is similar, but doesn't have the firing pin block, has a over-travel adjustment on the trigger, extended mag release, adjusted mag brake that lets mags drop free, and adjustable sights.

Try getting a set of factory soft rubber grips. They look exactly like the hard plastic grips, but fit many hands better than the Hogue grips. (I found the Hogues forced my hands upwards into the trigger guard uncomfortably.)

You can take the grips off, pull out the pin at the top of the magazine brake, and bend the brake a bit so that it rubs more against the mainspring (hammer spring), and reinstall the pin. You don't have to bend it much, and it should allow the mags to drop free. You can also order a flat mag brake plate from CZ-USA.

Consider joining the CZ Forum. http://www.czfirearms.us

Polinese

Ah thanks for the info. I wont be carrying it concealed but any suggestions for more of a duty style holster for it? One that hangs a lil lower as to not interfere with a vest in case i use it for carbine/pistol classes?

Turns out its an older 85, not a B variant, which just makes the shape its in more impressive, couple tiny scratches, all the serial numbers match.

chris in va

I see a few people using the Blade Tech dropped and offset holster to good effect in our local matches.

And ditto about the mag brake, super easy to flatten out. Get a 15# hammer spring too.

aarondhgraham

Hello Polinese, here's a duty holster for $24.95,,,

Hello Polinese, here's a duty holster for $24.95,,,
It might be what you are looking for.

Click here please.

They also have a few left hand holsters.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond

Walt Sherrill

Turns out its an older 85, not a B variant, which just makes the shape its in more impressive, couple tiny scratches, all the serial numbers match.

Any holster that works for the Beretta 92-type guns should work fine with the 75B/85B -- and duty versions are generally quite inexpensive. You can probably find used ones in good shape, with the proper "retention" devices built in -- required for police use.

You'll find it difficult to get aftermarket sights -- as the dovetails on most of the non-"B" (often called "pre-B's" -- as there were no "A" models) guns are different. (If the front sight dovetail is length-wise rather than cross-wise, you have one of the later pre-Bs, which are like current models. The front sight on older pre-Bs are STAKED, and finding replacements are difficult.)

The trigger is probably quite nice on that model. If you want to change sights, you make have to have new dovetails cut.

Last edited:

Polinese

Thats good to know about the holsters. And the dry firing I've done with it has me in love with the trigger. Of course the only other trigger I've experience on (in a pistol anyways) is a HK P2000 LEM trigger which isn't bad once you get used to it but still isn't a fantastic trigger, more like a crappy rifle trigger.

The front site actually almost looks like a fixed site, not sure. Either way I can make due and had already figured that If I wanted to change the sites out it would take a little work. I think changing the mag brake is really the only thing I plan on doing right now, and some nice wooden grips.

Wish blackhawk had a serpa holster for it.

Walt Sherrill

If you gun doesn't have the length-wise dovetail (with the sight retained by a roll pin), you've got one of the earlier STAKED front sights. That takes a special tool to install; the post slips through a hole in the slide, and is EXPANDED to make it snug.

You can change out the rear sight more easily, but the dovetail is different on the older models than standard 75Bs and 85Bs (and 85 Combat), so be careful if you try to change the rear.

dgludwig

The fact that the magazine doesn't fall freely has the advantage of it maybe staying with the pistol should the magazine release be inadvertently activated. Unless you're competing in some of the tactical shooting games, a little faster mag switch isn't all that important, imo.

Polinese

I think its an older model does say czechoslovakia on the side, cant remember when they split and didn't feel liek googling.

Last edited:

sirgilligan

Took the Ruger Mk II, a Browning 1911-A1 22, and a CZ 85 B to the range. My Dad, my Brother and myself.

Here is the results of my Brother's first time shooting the CZ at 7 yards off hand:

cz_greg.png

What's not to like!

Note that this is the first time he touched the pistol. That speaks volumes for CZ.