Cz 82??

SpookBoy

I know everyone raves about cz, but no one ever says anything about the 82/83 series.With the current batch that has just entered the market one cant help but wonder is this pistol worth my time?I'm considderind a mod 82 in 9mm mak for $229 w/2 mags(12rounders) vg+cond plus the holster and rod.
Can anyone help me out? to me they've always looked good + the highest round count for that cal. I'm thinking excellent backup gun or ccw.
cz_83.jpg

czf

LOW price for the gun and ammo isn't expensive.

GUN: excellent ergonomics (after all it's a CZ:)
Good trigger pulls in both SA (sweet) and DA (silky smooth)
for a economical pocket pistol caliber firearm.

WE never hear of problems with the CZ82/CZ83 and there
are plenty of them out there.

Virtually NOBODY requests a trigger job on these guns.

Controls: Browning type mag release, and ambi safety levers.

Sights:Big and block sights that are not normally found
on .380s and the like. Can be changed out for CZ nites if desired.

Capacity: 12 or 13 rounds of 9mm Mak or .380 isn't
a bad thing.

Weight: The gun is a bit large and heavy for pocket carry,
but not as heavy as a 75B.

Accuracy: the weight is favorable for good control and
ammazing accuracy for the calibers.

Reliability: Only probles with some JHPs on the market.
MY .380 didn't like Hyrdra-Shoks, my 9mm Mak digested every
load I could put thru it.

Price: Have seen them for as low as $199 in recent weeks.

They can look mil surplus or fantastic.
czla.jpg

I also think that the CZ82/83 is the best looking CZ poster,
and the CZ82/83 series puts any Makarov in the dust!

PICS & INFO :

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/hakan/CZ82.html

http://www.angelfire.com/id/projectsafestarsap/cz83.html

PSP

The batch of CZ 82s on the market are all used. The condition you'll find them in varies greatly from wonderful to total crap. Just be wary and function test any gun you come across. The main worry areas on these guns are the slide stop spring propensity to disappear and the trigger sear to be worn. The finish is usually a bit rough and battered. The barrel is polygonal and seems smooth, but is in fact quite accurate.

These are fun guns and at the $200 mark are a value, provided they do in fact function properly. Just inspect carefully and don't expect perfection...they are utilitarian...competent, not works of gun maker's art.

David the Gnome

AIM Surplus has them for $209. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_CZ-82_9x18_Pistol.html

I bought one from AIM and it is an excellent firearm. Mine looks brand new, something you don't expect in a surplus firearm. Double action is crisp and has the perfect amount of resistance for concealed carry (Keep in mind there is no decocker and to decock the weapon you must use the two hand method). It has the capability to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 and has a very similar ambidextrous safety and mag release. Mine came with the leather holster, cleaning rod, lanyard, and two 12-round magazines. I field stripped the gun (one of the easiest guns I've ever field stripped btw) and cleaned it but it barely needed any cleaning or oiling. For a gun made 18 years ago it came in the best shape it could possibly be (short of being NIB).

cz82pic01zj9.jpg

Arabia

Great pistol for the price. It might be a little big and heavy for deep CCW you will need a good holster. Their are better smaller pistols which are specifically designed for CCW. The only problem with mine was that the Breakfree gun scrubber actually melted the plastic grips.

hj28rules

You can't go wrong with a CZ82/83.The 9x18 is a pretty hot little load. They are robust, reliable, fit the hand well and are very accurate inside 25meters. They are easy to dissamble and clean. If you get a used one, you may want to contact CZUSA and get a new recoil spring, firing pin and firing pin spring. For some folks they may be a little heavy for CCW. I've had my 83 (.380) for over a year and never had any feed, misfire, or stovepipe problems with Hydra-Shocks, Corbons or Gold Dots. Very good value in a light caliber pistol.

LM...Ft. Worth, Tx.
PO1 USN: 1964-1972 Viet Nam Vet
SFC US ARMY (NG): 1982-1996 Desert Storm Vet KKMC (ret.)

KevininPa

I have the ........

............the CZ-83 in .380 and love it. As long as you're not hung up on needing a larger caliber you will too! I carry mine in fall, winter and spring. Right now in summer I have a Sig232 (in stainless for the sweat factor), and a FEG SMC in .380 for pocket carry. The FEG is a PPK clone. The grip on the CZ is a little thicker due to the double stack, but the upper fits well in-the-waistband like my Sig. Actually, you'll find that the slides on all three pistols are practically the same size ( as well as the Bersa .380 which I just sold). You wouldn't be disappointed owning one.

Kevin in Pa

glockorama

I'd say the CZ-82 is THE hot deal in hanguns right now, especially if you have a C&R license (I do). I got 2 of them for $199 each and they are great shooters.
l_624adbde705a0d0faa1d25a37440d2c7.jpg

Personally, I prefer the 82 over a Mak, but just barely. In fact, I just refinished my Bulgie Mak and now I'm torn which to carry:
l_60f092e1930325abb547e3b56ab1e140.jpg

Either way, it's win-win. :D

Oppy

My new 82

I just bought a CZ-82 from AIM two weeks ago. Handpick for an extra $10, bringing the total to $219 plus shipping and transfer fee. In outstanding conditi
The holster in comes with is a bit funky, but protects it. I ordered a black leather holster on line from Firebrand Enterprises ( I think they go by Red Storm on line). Delivered for about $28.00. Not the highest quality leather, but worth the money I spent.

Anyone interested should certainly check out the CZ-82.

Last edited:

warwagon

I too have an 82 in 9mm Mak, and I really like it! I have rather large hands, and it seems to fit me better than others of like caliber. It is a reliable shooter, and I don't consider myself "out gunned" with it around.

Spookboy: just curious, but the pic of the 83 that is with your post has me perplexed, maybe it's just me, but it looks as if the trigger is rearward, but the hammer apears to be lowered! :confused:

Richard

CZF, I take exception to your statement: "I also think that the CZ82/83 is the best looking CZ poster, and the CZ82/83 series puts any Makarov in the dust!"
My photo shows why I take umbrage with your remark. Regards, Richard:D

My Maks:
fourmaks.jpg

AFshooter

Outstanding gun! I have two.
You can't find this quality at this price anywhere.
Think of it as a modernized Makarov. Improved capacity, improved ergonomics, improved sights and improved controls. It is still a sub-power compact blow-back pistol but a darn good one at that.

PSP

I too have to admit I prefer shooting my Makarov over the CZ83, but both are OK guns. I have had problems with both being imperfect, theCZ being more so than the Mak. If I had to sell one it would be the CZ.

armoredman

We had a CZ-83 on the rental range I worked at a few years ago, and it never failed. Good sidearms, bit big for the .380 caliber, but the 9x18 loading is supposed to be quite good. Wouldn't mind a CZ-82 in 9Mak, no cash though.

SpookBoy

now after doing more research i'm just torn between the 2 (makarov or cz)
my only prob with the mak whatsoever is the heel(euro) mag release! is this a hinder for you makarovians?
I might just have to wait until i have more ca$h and just get both!

Jay1958

If you are torn between the CZ82 and the Makarov, there are two points to remember: 1. a CZ82 in the same condition will likely be less expensive 2. capacity, the CZ82 is 12+1. While you may never need it, no one in a self-defense situation ever wished for fewer rounds in the pipe!