CZ 805 Bren PS1 Pistol

SpareMag

I haven't figured out the role for these types of firearms. Too large to handhold effectively, but too hassle-laden to convert to SBR, and now ATF is rethinking the Sig brace..:confused:

marine6680

No... I read an article about that. They had lawyers look over the letter and chatted with an ATF agent.

The person basically sent in a letter bragging about using the brace to make an SBR... He stated his intent was to get an SBR without needing the tax stamp.

Since his intent was to make an SBR and not a pistol, the ATF declared that in HIS case he was making an SBR.

Basically the ATF is saying that we must always call the firearm a "pistol", and the brace an "arm brace"... We must claim we are making and owning a pistol.

If we do that, then we ARE making a pistol in the eyes of the ATF, and we can hold the "pistol" in whatever manner we choose.

Fishbed77

I'm much more interested in the upcoming CZ EVO 3 S1. It's one of the first 9mm carbines (with SIG brace or tax stamp) that looks to be both very high quality (typical of CZ products) and reasonably-priced. The idea of popping steel targets at short range with affordable center fire ammo from a shouldered firearm sounds like a lot of fun to me.

The BREN, on the other hand, is pretty much pointless. I've added it to the long list of other stupidly overpriced 5.56mm rifles (ACR, SCAR 16S, FN2000, AUG, XCR, etc) that does nothing better than a $900 Colt 6920. It's made even more useless and overpriced by its pistol configuration.

marine6680

It may be more than an AR... But it's much cheaper than other similar options that you listed.

So for a "modern" design, it's not priced as outrageously as the others.

Darker Loaf

I am more excited about the new Scorpion pistol, too, for two reasons: the MSRP, and the cost of 9mm.

For what I want it for (a plinker, self-defense, a "lady's" gun, a first-time shooter's gun), the 9mm Scorpion will serve pretty well. I like both pistols, and I really want a .223 caliber pistol, but I don't know if I want to pay that MSRP. The upside to that is I probably won't want to mess with the new Bren, and I might leave it essentially factory. But the downside to the Bren is that I have several custom or factory pistol builds that would be cheaper or in the ball park of the CZ gun. I'd have to know more about "why I should want this gun" over a Midwest Industries pistol (~$850 MSRP) or a custom AK .223 pistol (if I can find one) or some other random .223 AR pistol then customized most likely. Heck, it's appealing to build a .223 AR DI pistol from scratch, and would still likely be under the CZ Bren budget.

The new Scorpion, on the other hand, is a no-brainer for me. Cheap magazines. Cheap caliber. Likely, it's lower-weight than its .223 pistol buddies (usually around 7+ lbs). Hopefully, the CZ Scorpion is around 5 lbs with the brace.

marine6680

Happy to see the 805 available...

Sad because it is in pistol form...

A little disappointed in the price, as the scorpion had me hoping for an msrp a few hundred cheaper. It is less than the scar by a good margin though.

Darker Loaf

I agree with you on all accounts. I was actually taken aback by the price of the Bren, especially since the price of the Scorpion was so reasonable.

armoredman

The EVO will sell, even if the SiG brace is rendered moot. The first shipment already sold out, and it's not here yet. It looks like a LOT of fun, and with reloads will probably be one hard rockin' fun gun that will double down with factory SD ammo as an easy to use HD carbine for my recoil sensitive wife.
If I am lucky enough to get one, it will be hard to not go the SBR route, especially with at least one local SOT guy I know well who is itching to play with it.

Fishbed77

It may be more than an AR... But it's much cheaper than other similar options that you listed.

By the time you add a stick, SBR it, and make it 922(r) compliant (or mount a receiver extension and SIG brace), you are very close to the price of the other rifles I listed.

marine6680

Scars were well over two grand in the store last I seen... This will probably go for a couple hundred less than MSRP, adding the sig brace would add a couple hundred to the sale price.

Still... If we could see a rifle version here for around $1700 in the shop, I would be much more inclined. I am sticking to my ARs for now, I feel no need to spend more for similar function...

But my fandom of CZ, and the fact I like the look, I may splurge. Hopefully it will accept standard AR mags, at least the metal ones.

The only way we would see the rifle would be for it to be made in the US... They may manufacture most of the important parts at the CZ factory and send them over for assembly, or send incomplete rifles over... Either way, then use US made parts for compliance.

Probably won't happen.

I never understood the market for .223 "pistols", especially at that price, but maybe they'll fill a niche. Personally, I'd be more interested in a quality Vz.58.

The Evo 3 S1 sounds like it's going to be a major hit; I just need to move out of Communist territory.

Evil Monkey

But if you're in an SBR state, why not just get a true SBR with an actual stock? I thought the whole point of the "pistol" was to get around SBR restrictions.

They buy them as pistols, then do the whole NFA thing and pay the 200 dollar tax stamp to register their "pistol" now into a "short barreled rifle" and can put on a stock.

Some firearms like the AK's for example, have no quick change barrels or uppers so getting the pistol variant and putting a stock on it is the only practical and cost effective way.

One of the reasons people do it this way instead of simply buying an SBR is because most FFL's don't have the Special Occupation Tax (SOT) to transfer/sell NFA items, and among other reasons.....$$$$$