CZ 75B or SP-01

hoytinak

I want a new 9mm, it won't be carried or pull nightstand duty, just mainly punch holes in paper and knock down steel plates. I've owned and shot all different brands but never a CZ so I thought I'd give them a try and narrowed it down to these two. Since I can't find either local and will have to order online, how's the feel of the two compare? Which one has the better trigger out of the box? I've noticed the 75B cost less so what are the upgrades of the SP-01? Thanks

schmeky

The 75 is obviously lighter in weight; the SP-01 actually uses the CZ-85 frame which has an ambidextrous saftety. The SP has in addition to the 75:

1) Ambidextrous safety
2) Accessory rail
3) Heavier frame
4) Larger mag capacity (19 for the SP, 16 for the "75")
5) Slightly extended slide stop

Otherwise they have identical, sights, trigger, sear, grips, hammer, barrel length, etc. I have a CZ75/9mm, CZ-75./40, and an SP-01. For a range gun, I prefer the SP. Is the SP worth the premium over the 75? That's for you to decide. :p

UtahZack

I have owned both guns. schmeky has it about right.

One thing- the SP has a more curved trigger. I did not like it.
Pinched me, so I had it swapped out for an regular 75B trigger.

Not quite a home gunsmith job. I did find the SP a better shooter. Were I to do it all again, I would just go with the 75B.

I recommend you try both guns in your hands. Even better to shoot them and see how the SP trigger feels with your finger. Can be an PIA to get trigger changed.

Z

don95sml

Have you considered the CZ75B SA model? Since you are talking about punching holes in paper, I assume you would mostly be shooting single action. The SA model is designed specially for that. The finger reach to the trigger is shorter than a standard CZ75B, and the trigger is nearly straight rather than curved. If you are after extraordinary accuracy, and can spend the bucks, check out the modifications available from Ghost Products (the CZ custom shop).