CZ 75B, Beretta 92FS

stevieboy

I own many revolvers and a 1911. Oddly, I've never acquired a 9mm semi and I've only recently developed an interest in having one. I've fired all kinds of polymer and striker fired guns (Glock, Ruger SR9, Smith & Wesson M & P, Springfield XD, Sig) and, although, some of them performed well -- for me the SR9 did a particularly good job -- none of them really caught my fancy.

What really interests me are all steel guns with more traditional firing systems. I've dry fired the Beretta 92FS and it is an extremely comfortable gun to grip with a nice single action trigger. The double action trigger was a bit stiff. I've never handled a CZ 75B but I've heard good things about it.

So, what are your opinions? Between the Beretta and the CZ which do you prefer and why? Also, I've heard that the CZ comes in an all-single action option. Any of you own one of them? How is it? Does it replicate the Browning Hi-Power or is it altogether different?

Btw, for those of you who might be tempted to recommend a 9mm 1911, my budget simply won't allow that. I envision spending no more than about $700, tops.

Thanks.

vladan

If you like grip on Beretta, you should really try the CZ75. Both guns are reliable and accurate but CZ is easier to conceal, especially if you buy compact and have better, more ergonomical grip. Also due to the design the barrel axis is lower than beretta

ohen cepel

I have both and like them each a lot.

You can easily improve the 92 be installing a "D" trigger spring in it if you go that way. Beretta Forum has plenty of info on that if you go that way.

Really a hard call for me between the 2 options you listed. More parts/stuff out for the 92 I think and mags/holsters will likely be more available and cheaper if that matters to you.

In the end though, I would go with the one that fits you the best. Both are great platforms.

niel4

I have both and the CZ75 is the most comfortable and accurate gun I own.

Others I have: CZ PO1 9mm, xd 45, xdm 9mm, RIA 1911 45, GP100, S&W 12, Blackhawk 357, Tarus Judge, Beretta Tomcat Inox 32, Beretta Neos 22, plus a few i can't remember at the moment.....the CZ is a great gun.

hanno

I don't own a Beretta but I do own several CZs - CZ 75 B Omega, CZ 75 SA, CZ 75 SP-01 and CZ 97. I simply can't recommend the CZ enough (in fact I traded a SIG for my CZ 75 SA).

The CZ is an all steel, reliable and accurate pistol.

An added benefit is you can buy a Kadet Kit (.22 conversion) for your CZ and shoot inexpensive .22s with the same frame.
I started using the Kadet Kit with my 75 SP-01 and liked it so much I traded for the 75 SA to use as a dedicated base for the Kadet Kit. It gets a lot of use.

My CZ 75 SA
CZ75SAright-.jpg

Kadet Kit
KadetKit-wood2.jpg

CZ 75 SA with Kadet Kit
SAKadetleft--.jpg

Last edited:

Triggernosis

I own a Beretta 92FS, but I've handled a CZ 75B Compact (PCR) enough to know that it feels much better in my hand. The Beretta is plain-out a big honker of a gun. I use mine to shoot National Match competitions with, that's all.

gyvel

I have several examples of both and, quite frankly, I wish I hadn't wasted my money on the Berettas, although they are both very reliable guns.

SRT2

Anyone know the difference in grip height between the CZ75B and the CZ75B Compact?
I'm also trying to decide between a Beretta 92FS and the CZ. I have small hands and the
Beretta grip seems huge as does the distance from the backstrap to the trigger.

JackM708

i was in the same situation recently, both are great guns....i personally ended up gettin the CZ, couldnt be happier......Hogue makes really nice rubber grips that will suite small hands.

qcpunk

Personally, I prefer the CZ 75B's grip over the Beretta 92's. However, they are both wonderful handguns. My CZ is SA/DA so you certainly have the option to shoot single action and the trigger break is very clean, very accurate. The trigger is quite a bit longer and stiffer, of course, in double action, but I don't think it's anywhere near as long and hard as shooting a S&W 27-3 .357 in double action. I guess the point there is that you have the opion available to you at all times. Carry hammer down and shoot SD in double action, or pokin' holes in paper with groups smaller than a quarter in single action.

To sum it up, I don't think you could make a wrong decision on this one. Both have their strengths. I vote for the CZ, but highly suggest finding a range where you can shoot both and see which suites you the best.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on your future purchase :D

ohen cepel

There is also a Beretta factory .22 conversion kit if that is a concern to you. It is a nice plus for both pistols.

I have the Beretta conversion, don't have the CZ one but I have only heard good things about the CZ version.

In the end, please let us know which you pick.

stevieboy

This has been helpful, so far. I'm still interested in hearing from people who own the CZ 75B SA. How's the trigger? How does it compare, say, to a 1911 trigger? How accurate are these guns (the Beretta, the CZ)? Are there any problems with either of these guns that I should know about? For example, is either of them difficult to take down or reassemble? Is either of them finicky about the type of ammo it feeds?

So, keep these posts coming!

JackM708

i have the SA version of the Cz75B, personally i like the trigger, nice and crisp, as far as ammo goes the CZ will eat whatever you feed it, Beretta is simple to field strip, the CZ is almost as easy. Good luck with whichever you choose. OH yeah, i also find the CZ to be more accurate, it seems to put a hole right where its poited.

dondavis3

I love my Beretta 92 F inox.

It's a great shooter

BerettaPX49mm3.jpg

I'd also suggest you look at the Beretta PX4 - it's a very nice looking gun -

BerettaPX49mm2.jpg

It shoots straight as a arrow.

Has the new rotating barrel ...

A visible hammer - a visible safety and a decocker.

Depending on your skill / training etc. - you can use any of these options or none.

But if your gun doesn't have these options - you don't get to choose which of them you want to use.

imho.

Good luck in your search - shoot a lot of different guns before you buy one.

:cool:

Beentown71

Have both. Both are great. Both are more accurate than I am most of the time. The only downside to either is the Beretta has grips like a beer can:D If you have small hands you will probably have a hard time reaching the trigger in DA.

The CZ has a lot less accessories available and the ones that are...well, quite expensive for my tastes. Here is my Beretta since we all love pics;)

IMAG0010.jpg
[/IMG]

Cannot find a cz pic nicer than above so I will skip it:eek:

Beentown

shepherddogs

I like the CZs pretty well. I've had 3 that I recall. My current one is the SA. I hate to say it but it has the worst trigger yet. The other 2 were bad but this one is awful. They are no comparison to a 1911 trigger. The hammer sort of cams back as you squeeze the trigger. Lots of creep too. I called CZ to complain about the poor trigger and was told that they are all that way. I'm told that a good gunsmith could make a CZ trigger almost as good as a 1911. I've just never gotten around to it. On the plus side they are ergonomic guns and are very accurate. But if you're looking for a good SA trigger, then the Beretta might be a better choice.

Sid

If you want an excellent 9mm and are on a budget, then I suggest an EAA Witness Match. I have one and it is far superior to the CZ 75B that I used to own. It is a single action, heavy, all steel target pistol and is made by Tangfolio in Italy. It comes with adjustable trigger, adjustable sights, is easy to disassemble and is superbly accurate. They are also very reliable and beautifully made. I have put several thousand handloads through mine without any difficulty. Best of all, you can pick one up for about $500.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The Beretta is lighter but bigger.

In my experience the CZ is more accurate and has a better SA trigger but the Beretta is more reliable.

I'd take either one or both. In fact, that's what I did. ;)

Barbicatter

I chose CZ because of the ergonomics. They simply feel good in my small paws. As far as accuracy and reliability they both fine guns. My CZ-75 has never had a hiccup for the 21 years I have owned it.
index.php

Shooter's Choice, Which one calls your name?