CZ 75b 9mm conversion

WeedWacker

I am the proud owner of a new CZ 75b in .40 S&W (I get to go shoot it today :D). I would have preferred to get the 9mm version but the supplier was out of stock and the model they had I couldn't put back in the case. SO I have been looking around and I think I can do a 9mm conversion with it. Found this web site:

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=1478

and some people talking about having a 9mm and .40 in a CZ. My plan initially was to have this as a backup to my Hi-Power for match work but since they are in different calibers it would mean more to take along in case the HP failed.

Is this a doable project, or am I being delusional?

If this is possible will I need anything other than a barrel like a new recoil spring?

Walt Sherrill

You might find it less expensive to just buy a used 9mm CZ... or get a Witness in 9mm (which tends to be cheaper) -- especially if your interest is to shoot less expensive ammo. (You'll find it easier to sell a whole gun than just a conversion barrel, and probably get your money back.)

The barrel you've linked to seems like a reasonable price. (Bar-Sto, at one time, offered this type of conversion -- but they did it years ago, when CZ was less well known. I'm surprised they have not ramped up production again, now that CZ is more widely known and used.)

CZ factory .40 mags will not hold/retain a 9mm round, so if you stick with CZ or Mec-Gar mags you'll have to buy 9mm mags, too. (Pro-Mags in .40, if you replace the springs, will generally work with both 9mm and .40 in the same mag.)

Last edited:

DBAR

Yes on the recoil spring, and yes you'll want to get some 9mm magazines.

I use a CZ85 Combat for the 3 gun, and I have a 75 as back up. If your HiPower is your primary competition gun, then you might want to look into another HiPower. Most competition rules state that if your primary gun breaks, then you should resume with the same kind of gun.

DBAR

Pyzon

A

I had the same idea as you, WeedWacker, but after spending over a month leaving 5 phone messages and 4 emails for the fine folks at firedragon, I'm wondering if they actually are still in business or not.

Every barrel they list seems to be out of stock, so I don't know what to think, especially of the horrible customer service. Actually, I guess I'm not a customer yet, but why list a contact link or a phone number if you don't intend to reply ?

More important, is this the service you could expect after the sale also ?

Sure would be fun to have the option to shoot 9mm, .40 S&W, and in my case,
.22 with a Kadet kit that works flawlessly.