Cz-75 v. Cz-85

Murdock

There is a local shop that has had a used CZ-85 for sale for well over a year. It is in good shape and I suspect it can be had for well under $400 (they are asking $500).

Other than the ambi safety on the 85, are there any other differences between it and the 75 that might make one model more attractive than the other? Are the magazines compatible between the 75 and the 85?

Will the Kadet .22LR unit fit both models?

How closely will a holster made for the Browning Hi-Power/P-35 fit a CZ?

Thanks.

hanno

The mags are the same for both the 75 and the 85. The Kadet Kit works with the 85. I just bought a Kadet Kit for my SP01 and am extremely impressed with it.

Here is the description of the 85 from CZ's web site:

"The design of the CZ 85 stems from the popular CZ 75 line. But they have ambidextrous control of the manual safety and slide stop. The CZ 85 B version is complemented with a firing pin safety to enhance the drop safety of the firearm.

Characteristic features of all versions
A universal handgun for both left-handers and right-handers,. The selective SA/DA firing mechanism, a large capacity double-column magazine, a comfortable grip and balance in either hand lead to good results at instinctive shooting (without aiming). Low trigger pull weight and high accuracy of fire. A long service life and outstanding reliability - even when using various types of cartridges. The slide stays open after the last cartridge has been fired, suitable for COMBAT shooting. The sights are fitted with a three-dot illuminating system for better aiming in poor visibility conditions. The COMBAT version features an adjustable rear sight by means of micrometer screws."

LanceOregon

That gun is definitely overpriced as I recently saw a brand new CZ-85B for sale for only $524

Only real difference is the ambidextrous safety. Unless it is the CZ-85B Combat version. Does the slide also have the word Combat written on it?

The Combat version has adjustable rear sights, and a better trigger pull. The reason why the trigger pull is so much better, though, is because the Combat edition does not have a firing pin block. So in theory, it is less safe.

One problem that the ambidextrous safety does cause is that it will block and prevent the Crimson Trace lasergrips for the CZ 75/85 pistols from working. You would have to have a gunsmith remove the safety switch on the right side of the gun in order to be able to use the laser grips with it.

Last edited:

OldShooter

75 vs 85

$500 may be a little much but it seems small shops have higher prices. But the run on hand guns around here may have pushed the prices up some too. A little while back I picked up a nice used 75B for a little over $400. You might be able to talk him down a bit.

The only difference is the ambidextrous safety which has no value to me, so I wouldn't pay extra for it. If you can shop around a bit more you may find a 75B somewhere. I am very fond of CZ pistols. I know where there is a 97B if you are interested in .45ACP.

I do my shopping in the mid coast and southern part of the state.