CZ-75 Triggers?

Dashunde

Which model has (reputedly) the best trigger?

Which trigger does the newer style SP01 have? (Omega?)

The standard (91102 model) CZ-75 has a decent trigger, but its not as good as the omega... how does the Single Action stack up?

IM_Lugger

Shadow has a nicer trrigger than a 75. My 75B had an aweful trigger! was way heavier than what I\ve been used to, so I replaced the mainspring with a #13 one. what a difference!

chris in va

The 75's trigger can be tuned up by a good gunsmith. I considered doing this a while back, but mine has smoothed out considerably and just never got around to doing it.

I agree that a lighter hammer spring really helps. The stock one is somewhere around 20#, mine is a 16. Anything less can get iffy for popping primers, but I have no actual experience with that issue.

stevieboy

I have a CZ 75B SA and I'm very pleased with the trigger. The gun's still new, I've put less than 200 rounds through it. But, without any break-in the trigger is very light and crisp. There's a little bit of take up before the trigger engages but the let off is excellent. No, it's not a 1911 trigger, but, nevertheless, it's a very nice single action trigger.

Walt Sherrill

I'm unfamiliar with the new "omega" trigger, so can't address that...

But with the other CZs, the triggers seem to vary -- from mediocre to pretty good. Sort of the luck of the draw. Most of them smooth up with use (400-500 rounds). The CZ Forum has instructions (well illustrated) for those who want to do a trigger job themselves.

I'm too impatient to shoot 400-500 rounds waiting for the trigger to improve, and get a local gunsmith to work on the trigger, when it seems necessary.

The 75B SA has the greatest potential of the "B" models, as it can have a two-way adjustable trigger, adjustable for take up and over-travel. (The Firing Pin Block mechanism needs tweaking, as well.)

An 85-Combat, converted to SA only, might be even better, as it does not have the firing pin block.

75 SA should have the best. In the two CZ DA/SA pistols I owned, the double action never really lightened up. I would get a trigger job if I owned another, but I'm a SA only guy now anyway.

Ralph Allen

My P-O1 had a great trigger from day one. My 75B trigger was gritty from the git-go. CZ puts snap caps in all new gun boxes. The 75B has 500+ snap pulls through it now, both double and single action. It is smoothing up nicely.
Ralph

Willie D

The Omega trigger supposedly doesn't cam the hammer back the way the standard trigger does. Based on that premise alone, it has to be better.

The European market has the Omega trigger offered in a standard 75; over here I think it's only in the P-07 and some of the SP-01 variants.

Dry firing helps smooth things out a bit but ONLY when you cock the hammer and fire SA each time. During the DA pull the hammer doesn't come into contact with the part of the sear that causes the "grit" during the SA pull.

Dashunde

Willy D said:
The Omega trigger supposedly doesn't cam the hammer back the way the standard trigger does. Based on that premise alone, it has to be better.

That is exactly right. I had the fortune of having both of them in my hands at the same time, the trigger on the omega doesnt rock back at all and is much smoother. Even though the regular trigger isnt bad the omega sorta soured my desire to buy just a regular ol 75B... so now I'm seeking out the best trigger possible for the least $$.
(The omega trigger was priced at over $650 :rolleyes:)

I guess I've moved on to the SA.
I assume it will have a pretty clean and crisp let-go and should be on par with the omega, but I havent found one locally to check out yet. (so I ask here)

In the end, I'm wanting a inexpensive all-steel, reputable, accurate, hi-cap, 9mm with a hammer and a good trigger.
I cant think of anything better than the 75B, can you?

railroader

I have a 75bsa and the trigger was pretty good stock but it wasn't like a 1911. It was a little gritty and it had quite a bit of takeup on the reset. I have done some work on it and I would consider the trigger very good now. I haven't actually seen one but alot of people online talk about the witness match pistols. They have some nice features and they are priced about the same as the 75bsa. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/29281-eaa-tanfoglio-elite-witness-match-9mm.html Mark

Willie D

I had an older Witness Standard and without question the trigger was better than a standard 75b. The firing pin safety actually assists the trigger pull on Witness which is opposite the 75b's (which actually adds more work for the trigger pull).

Unfortunately, my Witness was also completely unreliable and stovepiped on nearly every mag. My Witness was an older model that I got used so I'd still be willing to give another one a try sometime - if I run out of CZs I'd like to purchase.

Distortion

My custom 75 SA with Shadow upper and no firing pin block, custom SA trigger and custom SA hammer from czcustom.com. (Don't bother checking, it was a two-off special offer - I got one of them.) It has a 2.15 lb trigger pull.

Next would be my custom Shadow. It has a 3.4lb SA trigger pull and 8.0 lb DA trigger pull.

Edit: I suspect the CZ Custom shop's custom CTS Tactical Sport would be the best potentially.

Last edited:

ckone

CZ-75 triggers are ok... I mean you can put some money into a 75SA and they can get pretty good... Still a lot of take-up/pre-travel and longish reset though, won't give a nice 1911 a run in the least...

That said, a Witness Elite Match is a whole other league entirely... It's a $500 gun with an SA pre-travel AND over-travel adjustable trigger that is AMAZING and comparable to what you'd find on a $3K Baer or Nighthawk, the only CZ even close (and what CZ model is closest) is a Tactical Sport at more than double the money...

briang2ad

ckone is RIGHT on. CZ has NEVER figured out how to execute a REALLY good OTB trigger, but Tanfoglio has. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for this in that people in the Czech Republic are perfectly capable, and labor is cheap (compared to US). The other problem is finding a Gunsmith. The most expensive and highly rated one here in Northern VA acts like he doesn't want to touch a CZ. Sending it to a good one will run $200 after the job and shipping.

So... you may want to consider Tanfoglio if a really good trigger is what you want.

LarryFlew

My PCR decent trigger but could be lighter. Not bad enough to have a trigger job done. 75B Nickel was bad enough to have trigger job done. Witness 45 compact awesome trigger right out of the box.