CZ 75 (pre B) rear sight

solvability

I want a better rear sight for my original CZ 75 - where can I find sights that will fit? Can anyone make a recommendation.

Walt Sherrill

The question is a good one -- as the pre-B CZ-75 has a totally different dovetail/sight mount system than newer CZs, and it's almost impossible to find a after-market sights that will work without adjusting the gun. I've had several pre-Bs, and the small rear sight is not one of the gun's better features.

The OP's bet might be to contact the CZ Custom Shop and see what they'd charge to recut the dovetail and install one of the sights they offer. He might also consider a new front sight, while you're at it -- it's probably "staked" and not dovetailed. See what they have for that "problem."

(It's unlikely that a typical pre-B will ever be much of a collectible, so changing the sight system and altering the slide isn't going to affect value; it might actually help resale value, if you ever sell. There are a LOT of pre-Bs around, and many more in Europe and elsewhere; the short-rail models are different and you want that gun to be as close to stock as possible and unfired to retain the greatest value.)

Note: you can mail the slide to them using regular mail (as the slide is not considered a firearm, and it's legal to do so), and the shipping cost will be quite reasonable. Just be sure to insure it for several hundred $, and use Priority Mail,etc. The prepaid box will probably let you send it for less than $5, plus insurance.

Last edited:
Why couldn't the rear dovetail be opened up to accept the newer 75B sights? If the older is smaller, that is not much of a machining problem........

Walt Sherrill

The rear dovetail CAN be opened up to accept current rear sights -- which is what the CZ Custom Shop would do if they installed one of their sights.

The front sight on most pre-Bs present a different problem, as there are holes in the slide for staked sights, not a dovetail. But staked sights for a 1911 can probably be adapted pretty easily.

I've seen dovetailed front sights done on a few Pre-B's, to go with custom (including Novak) rear sights, but the height has to be customized on the front, as nothing is standardized.

solvability

I have a Dawson Precision front sight on it but it is quite a bit too tall for the standard sight - I am working with a gunsmith on the issue now - we may do a Novak so it is more like the sight picture on my 1911 - I really prefer fixed sights on a combat pistol.

It is a nice pistol - I usually keep the Kadet kit on it to practice DA/SA.

solvability

And, yes the rear sight now not matching the sight height of the front and is a bit old school for my old man eyes. I shoot several pistols with the Warren Sevigney style rear and like that a good bit - plenty of light around it.