CZ 75 for Revolver User

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I am fairly traditional in my firearm usage, I typically use a S&W Model 19, but I've decided to branch out and join the world of semi-autos (I do shoot semi autos frequently, I just don't own one). In doing some research and visiting some shops I've decided upon the CZ 75B. That's not the question at this point.

The question is which CZ 75B? Either the B, BD, or SA.

To give some background, this is likely to be just a range gun but I would consider carrying it. My tendencies at this point are to go with either the BD or SA. If I do carry it I don't plan on carrying it cocked and locked, "condition 1". As a revolver user I have no problem with double action and this makes me think of the BD. At the same time part of me thinks that maybe I should just get the SA if it's just going to be a range gun. But that makes me wonder, is the SA really any better, or just different?

I've used the search and read a number of comments, but never saw one asked from a revolver user so I decided to make a new thread.

In addition I am thinking of trying some USPSA or IPSC competition at some point. I had heard that there might be a double action capability requirement?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Luis Leon

TunnelRat,

I have a CZ75b, which can be used single-action with the safety on. Or, double action with the hammer down and safety off. I own a CZ75bd (decocker) and a CZ75 P01 (decocker). For the range, IDPA or USPSA I prefer to use my CZ75B. I like that I can choose to use it in one of two modes. Though I always used in in the double action first shot mode. Manually decocking the hammer for me has become second nature. Either way you can't go wrong with either the 75b or 75bd they are solid, accurate guns. Make me look a better shooter than I really am. Good luck with your decision.

For perspective I too shoot a S&W Model 19 revolver and I love that smooth DA trigger.

irish52084

The CZ de-cocker triggers are a bit more complex and tend to be heavier and grittier out of the box, than the standard or SA models. Since you're already used to the double action system, I doubt you'll have any issues.

I think the SA models come with a different trigger, possibly the flat blade style trigger.

NJgunowner

The cz's have a gritty trigger out of the box, but smooth out after a few rounds. That's about the worst thing I can say about them.

I like decockers, so the BD would be my choice. But they're all good.

hanno

Hard to go wrong with any CZ but I'd recommend the SA. It has the nicest trigger.

Don't forget to get a Kadet kit for some inexpensive plinking.

aarondhgraham

Maybe I don't know what "gritty" is,,,

But out of the box my CZ-75B had what I call a great trigger.

Pull was not too heavy,,,
DA travel was short,,,
Crisp break point.

Maybe there are many pistols out there with a "better" trigger,,,
But I don't think anyone can say the CZ has a bad trigger.

Personally, I would pass on the SA model.

A range acquaintance has one,,,
I can't feel any significant difference,,,
Between the trigger of his SA and my DA/SA.

Just relaying my experience.

Hanno said: "Don't forget to get a Kadet kit for some inexpensive plinking."
His recommendation is a good one. I bought the entire CZ-75B Kadet pistol instead. It's a wonderful handgun to plink with. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Aarond

stevieboy

I have a 75B SA and I can't think of anything that I dislike about this gun. It cost me just a bit over $500, brand new. The SA trigger is quite good -- not 1911 quality, to be sure -- but good nonetheless. There's a bit of takeup and some creep (the CZ folks call it "camming") just before letoff but the letoff is nice and crisp. My understanding is that most of the takeup and camming can be eliminated by the CZ Custom Shop if one desires, I haven't bothered with that because I'm happy with the trigger as it is.

The gun reliably cycles everything I feed it. It never jams or misfires. It is very, very accurate and seems to prefer somewhat hotter rounds. I've had my best groups at the range with 124gr. Winchester NATO, which is essentially 124gr. +P. My experience is that the gun shoots to POA with these rounds and just slightly high with less energetic stuff.

It is possible to carry this gun cocked and locked. The safety requires some pretty firm pressure to engage and disengage. The gun's ergonomics are great, the SA trigger is straight rather than curved and that seems to work very well for me.

My CZ is not my only semi, I also have a 1911, but I tend to shoot the CZ about 10x for every trip to the range with the 1911. I'm basically a revolver guy, like the OP, and, coincidentally, one of my favorites is my 19 (2 1/2"). Still, I really like that CZ.

TunnelRat

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will likely go with the BD.

However I do have some concerns. I sadly have small hands:eek:, not tiny, but on the small side. I've read some comments around that some people find the DA pull to be long. Now I've never had any problems with anything I've shot from Beretta 92FS, Glock 17, Sig P220, 1911, Hi Power, FN Five Seven, and of course revolvers, notably the Smith model 19. However I don't have a chance to handle the gun until t arrives from order so this worries me.

For any of you with Smith revolvers, how does the DA trigger reach for the CZ 75 compare?

Thanks again

tekarra

I have a few cZ 75 Bs and an older 75. The 75 had a great trigger out of the box whilst the triggers on the Bs smoothed up nicely after a couple of hundered rounds. With the cZs I also shoot a couple of S&W 547s. One of the 547s has the best revolver trigger I have ever pulled.

Frequently I take a 75B and a 547 to the range and shoot them alternately. Apart from the difference in feel between semi auto and revolver, the trigger reach seems very similar, but then maybe I am just used to it. My hands are average to small and I do not have a problem with reach of either when shooting DA. In fact, I have been looking for a cZ 75B DAO for some time now.

Luis Leon

TunnelRat,

If you can stroke that double action trigger on the S&W Model 19. I don't believe you'll have a problem with the CZ75bd. I don't have large hands and don't have a problem with either. As for the .22 Kadet Kit, I have one and it goes on every range trip.

I'll be playing with the S&W 19 tomorrow at our weekly action shoot. Enjoy your CZ.

schmeky

Tunnelrat,

I make a "Reach Reduction Kit" that moves the static trigger position rearward 3.0-4.5mm's (Standard Kit - 3.0: Extreme Kit 4.5). Makes a significant difference in the DA reach.

Website is not up, but should be soon.

TunnelRat

tekarra and Luis Leon,
Thanks for the revolver comparisons. It does a lot to put my mind at ease. Enjoy your revolvers as well, they are awesome to shoot.

schmeky,
Keep me up to date on that, would be interested in the future.

hAkron

A couple of things - for smaller hands you might want to check out the CZ75 D PCR it is a slightly smaller version more or less of the 75BD. More manageable for carry as well.

If you are only ever going t use it at the range the get the SA model as mossy people unless the are training for the first DA shot with their carry gun don't generally shoot their SA/Da autos in DA since you would need to rack the slide and then lower the hammer to get the gun in DA.

Most CZ 75's even with gritty out of the box triggers are typically very accurate.

LarryFlew

As a CZ fan attic:) I'd suggest the B for the most versatility. As a revolver guy you probably have no problem lowering the hammer by hand so the decocker is no big deal. With the SA you have cocked and locked period. With the B you have the choice of DA first shot or Cocked and locked with the only negative being the need to decock the hammer manually. Working on the gun wise the decocker trigger assembly is much more complicated to the point of if you don't know what your doing don't touch it.

I've had them all, the SA the decocker and the DA/SA. Have had 3 varients of the B, The PCR and P01, The SA, the SP01's. Still have 7 and 4 are 75B's.

Reach wise you can always buy super thin grips if you need to.