CZ 75 Compact 9mm

kst8fan

Looking to do a trigger upgrade for my CZ 75 compact 9mm and not sure where to start. This is my primary carry weapon and am just not satisfied with the factory trigger. I have added new grips, recoil spring, and a steel guide rod already. Any info is appreciated.

Jaywalker

Likely you'll get lots of advice from folks who like the platform, but I didn't. Here's my story.

I had a CZ75 Pcr for a few months before I decided to sell it. It felt good, was reliable, and was relatively compact (the size of a Glock G19 and Browning Hi-Power) but I felt it needed to be a project pistol to smooth off some of its (figuratively) rough edges. At some point I decided its great "feel" just wasn't enough.

I would disagree with folks who say it has the same quality as a Sig, however, unless you're talking about just simple reliability. Compared to a Sig, the double action trigger reach is longer and rougher, and the single action weight is pretty good at 5.5 pounds, but was also a bit rough. I found the stock sights a little hard to see (old eyes, I guess) and there are few aftermarket choices for this. These things take money or time to improve.

Also, it's just taste, but I didn't care for the baked-on finish, or the "busyness" of all the printing/details (huge, ugly print) on the slide. The slide is inset to the rails rather than outside as on most pistols, so the forward cocking serrations seemed pretty useless to me - it's difficult to rack it from the front serrations with on 3/4" of purchase on the slide and that heavy recoil spring while keeping your fingers out of the bullet path.

Finally, I shoot with my thumbs up, so the slide release was in an awkward position for me - it threatened to be activated on every shot, but was too far forward to be useful as a slide release with my thumb for a new magazine.

Again, I found it reliable with real advantages in overall height (compared to a Sig) and feel. It did need extra gunsmithing, and while I looked into doing it myself, it looked too complicated for me. Parts cost was $90 for a hammer for the SA issues, $90 for the disconnector that would have allowed a shorter double action pull, about the same for the short reset, $80 for sights I could see, plus costs to install all of these things, plus maybe another $200 for smoothing the action (or lots and lots of firing to accomplish the same thing). Getting it all done at the same time was $500 by a competent smith. Get it all done and you have more in it than you would a Sig with some advantages over a Sig, but you better plan on keeping it forever, because you can't sell a worked over CZ at a Sig price. FWIW.

TunnelRat

Also, it's just taste, but I didn't care for the baked-on finish, or the "busyness" of all the printing/details (huge, ugly print) on the slide.

See with the painted sort of finish I find the printing really hard to see unless I look very close. Pretty unobtrusive for me.

Get it all done and you have more in it than you would a Sig with some advantages over a Sig, but you better plan on keeping it forever, because you can't sell a worked over CZ at a Sig price. FWIW.

You can't sell a used SIG for the price of a new SIG either. I actually agree with what you're saying to an extent, but around me locally I can find excellent condition used SIGs for $600 (part of the reason I can't rationalize buying a new SIG when I know how big the loss on the used market is). I would think a worked on CZ could fetch similar money, but as always that depends on finding the right buyer.

Knightsofnee

Cajun Gun Works Ultra Lite/SD kit is a good place to start (13# hammer spring, redesigned firing pin and spring, lighter FP block spring). Might want to throw in a CGW trigger return spring while you're at it. If that doesn't do it they've got a bunch of other goodies. Oh, don't forget their floating trigger pin. And visit the Original CZ Forum.

UZO

Cajun Gun Works specializes in 'fine-tuning' CZs and selling parts... they do good work!

Pilot

Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom. If you are handy, CGW will just sell you the parts that drop in. CZ's are excellent firearms, and you will be very happy with one that is customized for you. Mine work for me bone stock. I much prefer them over my Sigs which just sit if the safe these days.

Neal_G.

How many rounds have you actually put through the gun? They can smooth out with use, usually after 1000rds. I've had my LGS let me handle a couple different CZ PCR's and SP-01's they had on stock so I could pick the ones with the best factory triggers before I bought them. They couldn't complain since I was going to leave with one!