Cz 600 stop use immediately!

Ricklin

Wow

Really makes one wonder what the heck happened.

The 600 is a series, 4 different models in the 600 series.

Makes me suspect a heat treating or other material based issue. I'm sure we will learn what it is soon.

Rob228

So bloody ugly, could cause blindness!

Almost has a Blaser look to it from what I am seeing. I don't mind it so much.

As far as the warning, it looks like a lot of other shooting forums have a similar thread, but still no word as to what the issue is.

Jim Watson

Apparently possible to fire without the barrel being affixed:

"CZ 600 rifles were designed to allow the users to replace the barrels themselves to change the caliber. CZ-USA has learned that if the barrel is improperly installed, it is possible that the rifle could still be fired, but potentially result in a catastrophic failure. CZ-USA will correct this issue by permanently installing the barrels in CZ 600 rifles. As a result, the barrels on CZ 600 rifles will no longer be interchangeable. CZ-USA understands that this solution may not be acceptable to some of our customers, in which case we will issue a full refund upon presentation of a valid receipt for the purchase of your rifle."

BornFighting88

Oh man!!! I was thinking about getting one of these. Not so much for the interchangeable barrels deal, but the fact that it still is CRF and box fed and in .308 AND has the option of the Bavarian-style full length stock. Might really have to investigate.

bamaranger

Too bad

Just read a write up on the cz600 in Rifleshooter magazine, seemed innovative, and the user swapping of barrels an attractive feature. Permanently fixing barrels will no doubt hamper the models popularity and acceptance.

The write up made NO MENTION of the recall. Apparently went to press before the recall was announced.

JustJake

Really makes one wonder what the heck happened.
The 600 is a series, 4 different models in the 600 series.
Makes me suspect a heat treating or other material based issue. I'm sure we will learn what it is soon.
Forged is the better way to go. More expensive typically, but more durable than cast.

As M1 Garand Pros have long noted, “cast don’t last.” :eek:

stagpanther

Forged is the better way to go. More expensive typically, but more durable than cast.

As M1 Garand Pros have long noted, “cast don’t last.”
I have a CZ 22lr and the quality and finishing on it puts many of my larger caliber bolt rifles to shame. I have a hard time believing that they would take short-cuts on what is to become their new flagship bolt rifle. I wonder if they attempted a similar bolt-screw locking of the barrel that is used on my CZ 457. My guess is that they will improvise a new safety arrangement to prevent the AD of a cartridge without a barrel (I'm having trouble imagining how that's even possible--unless what the post above really means is that the barrel was improperly affixed--i.e. not fully and properly mated to the receiver, in which case I suspect they'll develop a fix for that too).

Jim Watson

It is hard to make things foolproof.
I have seen pictures of shotgun shells fire formed into a "belt" by firing in a takedown pump, probably a Model 12, with the barrel one or more threads out of register.

People got dissatisfied with the accuracy of a takedown rifle. A friend has a Savage 99 with the barrel screwed in tight, even though it was a takedown model.

BornFighting88

Unless your optic is affixed to the barrel in question, the risk of losing zero increases each time you break the action from the barrel. While there are ways people think to prevent loss of zero, the sheer fact is that taking a metal set of parts down and reassembling them causes wear.

CZ said the action is aluminum, or at least the receiver is, and they have the bolt going into an extension of the barrel that is steel, much like an AR.

Sweet Shooter

It's a shame. I like CZ generally. But they keep getting cheaper on us and spinning it up like it's a bonus. It ended with the 527. Even the 455 went to a bolt on config. Why they can't make proper steel actions with barrels properly installed is beyond me. Options are great but this BS needs to stop.

Lighter-weight, aluminum receivers like in the AR platform = Cheaper to manufacture. No comparison to that platform. So make an AR already.

Interchangeable barrels/calibers = Cheaper to manufacture, we'll spin it like a benefit.

They think we're dumb. Wooden bolt knobs- what the heck!

Oh wait... the "1022 has a bolt on barrel". Yes that sucks too for anything other than shooting tin cans.