CZ 600 Alpha

Adventurer 2

I don't know why I seem to like the ugly firearms. I owned a Ruger M77 MK II (boat paddle) 270 for decades (i miss that rifle). Was browsing Cabelas online to find something to use my points on -- CZ 600 caught my eye.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-600-alpha/
A CZ 600 Alpha in 308 is on order. Don't have the time to do anything with it when i receive it so it is going to sit for quite awhile (maybe til deer season). Anyone have one of these ugly but captivating rifles?
Experiences and opinions welcome.

armoredman

Ugly?

zHxuNTu.jpg

I think it's quite attractive.

aS5GRb4.jpg

I am still finding what loads make it happy, but here's some relevant targets, shot by me.

SyC8htU.jpg

uLaLoPw.jpg

Obt4RMk.jpg

ZyVlZBt.jpg

Just three shot sighting groups, nothing special. The last is factory ammo.
The ONLY thing to really keep in mind is follow the bolt removal instructions to the letter - it is not like any other bolt action bolt removal. Failure to do so can lead to bolt damage.

p6t2Vfl.jpg

SIG WHISKEY 3 3-9 scope.

HKgjL5h.jpg

taylorce1

The rifle lacks a lot in eye appeal, but you can't argue with the results. I'm more interested in the ability to swap barrels with these rifles.

armoredman

Trigger is still on the factory setting, the lightest. It's a short throw with a light, clean break.
The barrel switch ability was removed due to some safety issues. So, you have what you have, and in my case, I have a .308.

Adventurer 2

Picked up the CZ 600 Alpha -- very industrial feeling - largest bolt knob (which sticks straight out) on any of my rifles and also the thinnest trigger. After seeing the cost of an extra magazine, $65, i'm just going to lock the magazine in place and top load the rifle.
Trigger adjusts from 1.3 ish lbs to 3 lbs with a supplied allen wrench (no disassembly required). The bolt has a little bounce when you extract as far back as you can -- haven't seen that before. Need to save my Cabela's points up for a nice milrad scope to put on it. So far i'm happy with the rifle purchase. Can't wait to see what kind of accuracy it is capable of.

eastbank

i handled one and i,m sorry, but i think the cz 550,s are better. buy what you want. i have seven cz rifles and used a cz 550 in .375 H&H on six trips to africa shooting 64 animals from cape buffalo to dikker with no problems at all, as a matter of fact i have not had any problems with any on my cz rifles. they already had a problem with the 600 with the barrel switch ones.

armoredman

I never said the 550s weren't excellent, never had one, but I had a 527M for years, and that was top quality. Last time I was near Africa I was helping to wipe out Iranians, didn't have time to check out the hunting, but I hear it's excellent.
You're right, we will all buy what we want, and the price tag on my 600 Alpha was a real steal, it does what I want, so I am happy as a clam with it. :)
What the heck is a dikker?

armoredman

Ah, that sounds about right, thank you. Probably a very challenging shot. I saw many African game animals stuffed at the International Wildlife Museum in Tucson, and some of the little antelopes looked like they would rather difficult to hit easily.

Rimfire5

If your 600 is like my old 500, the bounce you feel probably is the ejector releasing the cartridge from the extractor.
My CZ uses a Mauser-like extraction approach that brings the cartridge all the way back to the end of the bolt path before it extracts the cartridge.

Pumpkin

How does a company go from making some of the classiest, prettiest, functional rifles to one of the quirkiest? Bolt handle could be off of an old lawn tractor, I would love to know who at CZ thought this was okay. Maybe they should have added the 600 to their lineup and not replaced the various 500’s with it.