CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar 308

Ralph Allen

Any one have personal experience with this rifle? Any comments/concerns feedback and/or comparisons between comparable rifles, ie, Remington 700, FN, Savage, etc? Thanks, Ralph

hodaka

I once had the laminated version. The set trigger is great and the rifle was very accurate, yet very heavy. I sold it to buy a DPMS .308. I would buy another should I want an accurate, heavy .308.

chaz12

I've had one for about two years with a Sightron 4x14 scope. I love it. Very accurate and the set trigger for target shooting is a big part of it. The trigger pull is so light in target mode that it alone has improved my shooting I think. I have been shooting the Lithuanian 7.62 Nato and Federal powershok .308. I tried some Portugese 7.62 and it was OK but not as accurate. 10 rounds of German MEN headstamp 7.62 were horrible. I'm planning to try some PRVI .308and 'match grade' .308 shortly. From now on the Lithuanian 7.62 is the only surplus I will use, if I can find it.

With the weight of the rifle and the nice recoil pad, there is virtually no felt recoil, shooting off a front sandbag. I think it's a great looking rifle too. I picked it after looking very closely at a Savage 10 FP with one of the improved stocks, can't remember the name of it, not the Macmillan though. I just liked the lines of the CZ stock better.

I have had one problem. After about a year, the magazine started dropping open at the rear latch every third or fourth shot or so. I sent off and got a rear latch spring which was easy to install but did not correct the problem. I called up and talked to a gunsmith there at CZ. He suggested a little tweak to the front magazine latch, which I tried and so far has worked. The magazine has not dropped open once since then.