CZ 550 Safari Mag

JMC

Does anyone have any experience with or own a CZ 550 Safari Magnum rifle in .416 Rigby?

I'm interested in your opinion of the fit, finish, overall workmanship, value for the $ and accuracy of this rifle.

They are available on GunBroker.com for $599 which is less than 1/3 of the MSRP of a Ruger 77 Magnum Safari in the same caliber. The MSRP of the CZ is $809.00, still well under the Ruger.

Thanks...

Justin

JMC, I don't own, nor have I shot a CZ-550, but from talking to people who own them, and from handling them at gun stores, I can tell you that they are very nice rifles for the price.

If you're interested in learning more about them, pop over to the CZ forum web page, www.czforum.com

There are people there who could answer your questions better than I can.

Roman Knoll

I have tested CZ 550 Mag in .416 for my magazine several years ago.

My impressions were all positive. Accuracy was perfect with Federal Tropy Bonded. Recoil easy to handle. As far as durabiliy is concerned it is difficult to say. But I have older Brno rifle (602) in .375 H6H for years. This model has similar action (differnce only in trigger mechansim) and I used it for many years. Bit rough but never let me down.

There is straight stock variant available (the one I tested was like this), which yoy should order. They sell 550 with so called "bavarian stock". This profile is unsuitable for safari rifle. Beware of it.

Regrading finish. It is now much better than in older 603 models. Nothing fancy but it is not needed on "no nonsense" rifle like 550. I consider 550 gives best price/peformance ratio of all safari models available.

Roman

JMC

Roman,

Thank you for the info on the CZ 550.

As far as the stock, unfortunately the only one offered on GunBroker.com has the "hump" stock.

I thought if the action and barrel are a good buy at the $599 "buy it now" price and I don't like the stock I could always have it re-stocked with a fiberglass/kevlar stock.

Roman Knoll

Seems like a bargain price to me. I doubt you can new .416 Rigby rifle for this kind of money anywhere else.

"Bavarian stock" is not very good thing for a rifle recoiling as .416 Rigby. But 550 is rather heavy so it should be managable. Mine 603 is in .375 and has the sama type of stock and I just got used to it. It is not a *****cat either.

Roman