CZ 527 in 7.62x39

Hunter2678

Contemplating picking one up, can anyone comment on the OD of the CZ 527 barrel ? I'm curious to see if a brake/can could be installed on it?

cmdc

A friend of mine has one, which I have shot, and it is very handy and accurate. He has taken one deer and one hog with it.

I'm planning on getting one.

Model12Win

Great little brush guns. Also useful for self defense as a light, handy carbine. If only they came with a stripper clip feed and 10 round magazine to accept SKS clips. But as is, the 5 round box mags are available (if somewhat pricey) and can be reloaded speedily for hunting of the four or two legged variety.

Model12Win

I gave my buddy a case of corrosive Yugo M67 ball a couple months ago for helping me move. Kinda wish I'd kept it and bought dinner instead! I hear it shoots great in the CZ bolt rifle.

ATCDoktor

I had my CZ model 527 in 223 shortened and threaded for a suppressor.

I had to have the barrel shortened to a point where the barrel diameter was large enough to make the "major" diameter for the thread specs for my can (in this case .5 X 28" which is standard for 223/556 suppressors in the U.S.)

For a 30 caliber can standard thread pitch is 5/8X24" and on the CZ 527 carbine you'd have to shorten the barrel to below 16 inches to get to a point where the barrel diameter is thick enough to make major for that diameter.

That said, some suppressor manufacturers make an adapter that will allow for a 5/8X24 threaded can to be used on a barrel threaded with .5X28" threads (I have one and use it quite often).

Reference the CZ 527 in 7.62X39 and .5X28 threads, the question will be, is the "barrel wall" going to be thick enough at a legal barrel length to be safe reference the muzzle pressures with .5X28 threads.

.5X28" threads don't leave a whole lot of meat between "minor diameter" and the inside of the barrel on a 30 caliber tube.

5/8x24 will be a no go at a legal length so .5X28 is what you will be stuck with (unless you use a custom thread pitch and a custom thread adapter to use with your 5/8X24 can.

Here's a pic of my CZ carbine with suppressor attached. I had gemtech shorten and thread the barrel and a local gunsmith re attached the front sight.

Last edited:

Hunter2678

Thanks ATC, that's the info I was looking for, unfortunately not the answer I was hoping...:( Had a feeling there wasn't enough meat on the barrel to keep it 18.5" and thread on a can.

chris in va

To answer your question, mine measures .610" at the muzzle

BTW, love the little rifle. I've bought and sold many firearms and this one has survived all of them. I shoot it more than anything else save my P01.

Liked it so much I bought it's twin in 5.56.

Last edited:

dakota.potts

http://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/cz527.pdf

Lilja shows what they call a factory reproduction having a muzzle diameter of .570. Your closest thread size that I can think of is a 9/16X24. That allows a major diameter of .5625 minus a couple of thousandths, assuming your barrel was cut concentric enough that it cleans up in only .0075" when indicated to your bore. That has a minor diameter of something like .520 which should give you roughly .105" thickness per side around your bore and if I'm remembering correctly (off the top of my head) .100" is considered a safe working thickness. I don't know what would happen to the harmonics with having the big heavy muzzle brake at the end of the long, skinny barrel. You won't be able to have it turned to match your barrel diameter as they do on heavier tapers.

Your other option, as noted above, is to have the barrel cut back a certain amount because the barrel has a taper and will be thicker the further back you go. You could maybe even have a gunsmith take it back to 14.5" or so and have the muzzle brake permanently attached to avoid SBR status, but of course you'll lose velocity doing that.

taylorce1

I think you can thread it for 1/2X28 and be okay. They were talking about suppressors on another forum and a poster there cut a Kimber Montana .300 WSM back to 17" and threaded it for 1/2X28 and then used an adaptor to run his suppressor. Obviously a WSM is going to have more muzzle pressure than a 7.62X39, and he had to cut 9" of barrel off to get to a point to thread 1/2X28.

Here's a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM set-up as a full tilt suppressed hunting rifle. It's cut back to 17" and threaded 1/2x28. I use a GemTech 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter to thread the SAS Arbiter suppressor on it. All up it weighs under 8lbs and recoils about like a .25/06... I've settled on 155 Scenars at 3100.

Erno86

I received my CZ527 from Impact Guns last week. The Leupold CZ527 rings were extra. They are special 16mm rings for the 527, that supposedly need no lapping or loc-tite. The rear scope ring has a bolt stop, that fits in a slot on top of the receiver. It has a Mauser action, that can be single loaded {with the magazine in} by placing the round a bit further near the chamber and sliding the round backwards and down into the magazine.

Medium height rings fit my VORTEX 2-8, with a 1 inch tube, that mounted just shy of the high rear leaf sight.

surveyor

These fine folks make a 16 mm to weaver 1 pc base that allows a larger choice of ring options.
I have used one of these, and have one for the next 527

James calhoon makes a single shot follower (at least for the 223 and smaller calibers)
http://www.jamescalhoon.com

Look on price list page near the bottom.
I ordered one but haven't got it yet.

Or a bobsled adapter may be availible for the 223 or x39
They are on the cz website, among other places

https://shop.cz-usa.com/productdetail/19896_original-bob-sled-527-762x39

Last edited:

Erno86

Shot my 527 at my IDPA AR550 steel target @ 100 yards today --- Turns out...the front scope mount screw needs to be Loc-Tited, including a couple of the torx ring screws.