CZ 52 Auto: Magnum type power in a autoloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan8883

I have a Cz52 auto pistol I like to shoot sometimes. The velocity of this round is high and ,although the bulletsuch as the 85 grain Hp I use is not large, the velocity is high and the pistol sounds like a magnum.The ball ammo I use is also high velocity stuff and is standard Polish or othere foreign ammo. The gun is pretty accurate and what do you think of this round?

Destructo6

It impresses anyone who hears it or experiences the muzzle blast. I'm not all that wild about the pistol in its stock form. My finger gets raw after 150 rounds from rubbing/getting piched against the trigger guard. The mag catch is rather difficult to manipulate and the force required to insert a fresh mag is unreasonably great. I've seen one or two that have been gone over by a smith, but I'm not sure I want to pay someone to mess with an otherwise pristine pistol.

Someone on the www.makarov.com discussion board stated that their grandfather was involved in an impromtu penetration experiment with the 7.62x25. He was one of several men, all in a Russian gulag, who were lined up and shot to see how many the bullet would penetrate. Luckily, he was number 4 and the bullet lodged in him, doing little more than soft tissue damage.

Where do you get JHP for the 7.62x25? Some people were wondering about reloading their brass with .30 carbine bullets.

ckurts

Ivan, I shoot a Tokarev in the same caliber. It's not as sturdy or well made as the Cz52 but it's plenty of fun and I can shoot it reasonably well (better than either of the two 9mm's or 2 .380's I've owned). I would not hesitate to use it for self-defense. I picked up a 25 rd box of handload hollowpoints at a gun show a couple of months ago. I put 8 of them through it as a function test and the others are now in two mags with one up the spout ready for home defense. The loads are Hornady 85 grainers in new Starline brass. The guy that sold them to me had softpoints as well. I believe said he loaded them both to about 1490 fps. Problem is, I haven't seen him at the last 2 shows and seem to have misplaced his business card. I do remember that he is somewhere here in Texas, either Bryan or College Station. If I find him again I'll post on this forum.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
The 30 cal mauser round (7.63 mauser or 30 tokarev) is a powerful high velocity bullet. C-96's and artillery lugers in the caliber were feared for theie stopping power like americans "feared" the big 45. Its a shame that the caliber didn't catch on in america. Hopefully with the number of surplus CZ 52's and Tokarevs coming into the country we'll see more components and load choices for the bottlenecked round. I would however fear OVER Penetration in FMJ form. (see the scray russian test above yikes!!!!! How many wallboards was that again??)

A nice hollowpoint like Hanson Cratridge Co makes should suit you fine. Practice with your defense load and never ever ever use handloads in your nightstand gun. Keep an eye on the shotgun news for surplus and new manufactured ammo for the tokarev/30 mauser cartridge. Older guns should be checked THOROUGHLY by a gunsmith. (Ruger made a 30 cal tokarev barrel for the p-89 series briefly .. and FN makes a KICK ass highpower in the caliber. Either of those guns I'd totally trust in the nightstand)

Stay safe and practice practice practice.

Dr.Rob

Ivan8883

I bought my Hp from a man named Tom Hanlon in Maryland who has a gun shop and reloads the 762x25 HP round. The hp are not as accurate as the polish fmj which I find the most accurate. But at close range,like in a house, the hp will do fine.You guys are confirming my belief that this round is awesome,but still mainly unknown in the west. That test on those poor Russian prisoners just confirms the power of this round.

Destructo6

Can't remember the guy's name, offhand, but somone on the www.makarov.com discussion board had a Browning HP converted to 7.62x25. I'll bet that's a conversation piece at the range.

Maybe the rave reviews of another bottlenecked cartridge, namely .357 SIG, the 7.62x25 may yet attract a larger following. Heck, the Makarov which was rather obscure a few years ago, now has quite a following.

------------------
I offer neither pay nor quarters nor provisions; I offer hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Let him who loves his country in his heart, and not his lips only, follow me.
-Giuseppe Garabaldi

Status
Not open for further replies.