CZ 512 22lr rifle - first impressions

armoredman

The 512 is a radically different 22 rifle from CZ-USA and one thing became apparent right from the get go - this is one cool rifle. It shouldered extremely well, and felt good to all three of us here, including Squirt.

openingshot.jpg

Dissaembly was VERY unsual, being it is a poly/metal hybrid gun, and the disassembly instructions need to be followed exactly. I don't remember ever having a gun that came apart like this before.

512disassembly.jpg

You MUST use the "tuning fork" recoil spring guide that is supplied to get those dual recoil springs back in the bolt. Once you follow the direction, strip and reassemble is a snap, but getting USED to it is weird at first. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in another recoil spring guide in case the first onesnaps or is lost.

How does it shoot? We found that out today.

Rickywith5122.jpg

Ricky likes it.:D Recoil was, of course, practically non existant. There WAS a strange "sproing" in the ear from the dual recoil springs, actually reminded me a little of AR buffer tube recoil spring "sproing". But functioning was excellent. Only fly in the ointment was the Federal cheap bulk pack ammo - several misfires. Every 22 I have ever shot with this ammo had the occasional misfire.
This was supposed to be a 5 round group at 25 yards, but only 4 rounds fired - I'd throw this stuff out, but I have too much of it and very little any other 22 ammo...

512at25yards.jpg

When I switched to the Aguila match stuff, not one problem, all good.

All in all the first impressions of the CZ 512 are excellent, and I expect we'll have a LOT of fun with this rifle in the future. :D