CZ 457 Varmint vs Savage 93R17 BTVS

Siggy-06

I'll be purchasing one on these rifles, the CZ 457 or the Savage 93R, in 17hmr this month and need some opinions on which is a better. The Savage has a stainless heavy barrel and action, and is about $60 cheaper, and the stock is a Boyd's thumbhole style. The CZ has a heavy blued barrel and action, and nice walnut stock. The rifle will be used mostly for plinking at the range.

Is the trigger better on one over the other? How is aftermarket support? Warranty turn around times? Any other info is appreciated.

10-96

The CZ 457 is pretty new out of the gates, don't know much about them yet. But I wouldn't trade my eye teeth for any of my 452's or 455's. There is a little break-in period CZ's seem to enjoy as far as the bolt movement and triggers smoothing out. A CZ would be my pick.
On the Savage- if you have a moment, use the search feature on this board. Seems there have been comments and hints lately that Savage's quality and refinements have been slipping as of late.
I haven't needed aftermarket support for any CZ, so I can't offer much insight there.

Siggy-06

Just an update, I went a different route and ordered a CZ 455 Training rifle, in .17hmr. I liked the iron sights, longer barrel, and the look of the stock style better over my previous varmint style choices. Will post an update and pictures when it gets here.

stinkeypete

I just bought a cz 455 combination .22 LR with a .17 barrel 2 hours ago.

You would think that a bolt action .22 was practically a muzzle loader, based on all the semi-autos that get sold. But I enjoyed driving to some little shops in the country and found the one with the boxes stacked high, organization by where stuff fits, a real to goodness gunsmith and a couple nice fellas that knew exactly what I wanted to look at.

Marlin xl. Less than $200. I could be perfectly happy with it. The plastic Camo stock was sort of attractive and it felt good.
Savage Mark ii. Less than $200 and the basic wood stock was nice. I liked it, too.
Ruger American. The plastic stock with adjustable inserts didn’t look cheesey or cheap as I had feared, but the stainless version with laminated stock looked really nice. It’s more money, within spitting distance of $500 because...

Once I saw the Cz American, I just said “this one is mine.” $515 with both .22 and .17 hmr barrel and that pretty checkered walnut and no iron sights cluttering the barrels... it’s a luxury.

I’d say it’s a great time for bolt action .22s. I would have been happy to own any of the above. That’s saying something for the marlin and savage, at less than half price.

Areoflyer09

I know the OP has made a purchase, but for anyone else looking into this.

I picked a 457 Pro Varmint last weekend. It’s a step above the 455 Varmint that I had previously. I’ll be upfront and say I never thought my 455 was a quality example of the line, the trigger was fine but not outstanding, the bolt was gritty and it just never really shot all that well. I share this as any negative comments I’ll make on the 455 are specific to mine.

The 457 has the best rimfire trigger I’ve touched and I have more than a few rimfires in varying degrees of modification. For my use I have it set to 2.25 lbs and no pretrvale or over travel. It’s just a solid and clean break. It can be set lighter or heavier, I’m not set in 2.25 and may lighten it a bit more.

The bolt is much easier to run, this partly because this one is smoother than my 455 but mostly the new shorter action and the 60 degree throw are a delight.

I got it to the range last night, it’s still cold here in Indiana so I was limited to 25 yards at my indoor range. The first 5 shots, using Federal Champion, landed with 4 in one large hole and 1 flyer. CCI SV put 4 in a medium hole with 1 flyer. Eley Target put 3 in one hole and 2 that were overlapping the hole. I’m by no means an expert shooter and I tend to get excited when the first 4 go well and then pull the 5th. The performance I saw was because of the rifle, in a real rest (I used my range bag as a make do rest) it would have done much better.

I would say the 457 is worth looking at closer for those that are thinking of one. I bought this as the chance for CZ to redeem themselves, regarding rimfire rifles, for me. I think this one will be a favorite.

Siggy-06

Scored a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 for $165. Should be plenty on magnification to see those little holes.

Siggy-06

Just a quick update, I purchased and received the American barrel kit, so I won’t have the front iron sight hood in my scope view. Looks great with the 20 inch length with the Training stock.

cw308

I bought a used CZ 452 in 22 lr. The seller had one of the high end AZ 22's and had the CZ in the safe . I would have never sold this 22 , it's the most accurate 22 I ever owned shoots bug holes every time . As far as rings get the lowest that will work on your rifle . Own a CZ you will never miss.

m&p45acp10+1

I have the 527 American in .221 Fireball. With a 6-24x44 Mildot scope. It is a true tack driver. Many have fallen in love with it, and its set trigger. The one you have I am sure will serve you well.

RC20

Savage hs two things going for it.

1. The trigger, teh Acu trigger is a very good facotyr trigger. Not mach grade but one level below it. I continue to shoot bench rest with it and have not felt the need to move up to Timney or Rifle Baisc II.

2. The Boyd's Thumb hole stock is really good. I have two, one is a featherweight that I have in 30-06 with a bull barrel on it. Its my favorite stock. I like it better than the target Boyds I have (they are all good but I like the Featherweight better even for target shoto9ign, it just fits and feels a bit better)

I have a CZ 452 and the trigger on it is ok, not great. I like the gun but not the trigger so much.