CZ 455 Varmint

Rob228

Before I took off for 3 years in Japan (1 down, 2 to go) I found that the rifle I was shooting most often was my 93r17. It shoots great, I do have a problem with a first round flyer (only with full magazines) but can consistently shoot .75" at 100 yards when I do my part and there is no wind.

I still have another two years before this can come to fruition, but this has caught my attention:http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-varmint-22-lr-5-rd-mag/

Does anyone have any experience/informed opinions? I'm not going to get rid of the Savage, but I'm thinking this will make a nice companion.

SBH

Yes ! I have informed experience. I had a 455 Varmint and sold it before it got to it's full potential. It will be replaced soon. Good luck.

10-96

I don't have the Varmint model, but I do have the Trainer version. Man, what a sweet rifle it is! I was able to compare it to the Savage 93 in the store, and while I guess there's nothing wrong with the Savage, it just felt the CZ had a bit more craftsmanship built into it. Now with fliers, I did manage to get a few with Winchester ammo (forget which in specific), but the 3 different Hornadys I tried did well. Oddly, the CCI A17 ammo which is supposedly engineered for Savage rifles groups the best out of my rifle.

There's talk on the innerwebs of folks getting a Yo Dave trigger kit, but with the adjustment in mine all the way down, I don't see a need in it for my uses. I haven't put a pull scale on the trigger, but it is light, clean, and crisp after 150 +/- rounds of break in.

Sorry hear you're stuck in Oki for another 2 years, but thank you for your service Brother.

Rob228

I don't have the Varmint model, but I do have the Trainer version. Man, what a sweet rifle it is! I was able to compare it to the Savage 93 in the store, and while I guess there's nothing wrong with the Savage, it just felt the CZ had a bit more craftsmanship built into it. Now with fliers, I did manage to get a few with Winchester ammo (forget which in specific), but the 3 different Hornadys I tried did well. Oddly, the CCI A17 ammo which is supposedly engineered for Savage rifles groups the best out of my rifle.

There's talk on the innerwebs of folks getting a Yo Dave trigger kit, but with the adjustment in mine all the way down, I don't see a need in it for my uses. I haven't put a pull scale on the trigger, but it is light, clean, and crisp after 150 +/- rounds of break in.

Sorry hear you're stuck in Oki for another 2 years, but thank you for your service Brother.

Thank you for the input! I do have the best groups out of my Savage with the CCI, I had never heard that they were made specifically for Savage.

I'm not even considering any aftermarket parts until I feel that I've managed to do everything I can do make it shoot (i.e lots of rounds downrange).

This is my second time out here, quite a bit has changed in the last 12 years, and thank you! I appreciate it.

SBH

When I get my next 455 Varmint I will have pillars installed and maybe even glass bed. RimFireCentral.com has a thread on CZ, lots of good info.

T. O'Heir

"...made specifically for Savage..." They weren't. Even though both CCI and Savage are owned by Vista Outdoors. Just like any .22, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo that particular rifle shoots best. Neither the rifle nor price of the ammo matters.
"...first round flyer..." May be the ammo, the rifle or you. The mag being full or not is irrelevant.

Rob228

May be the ammo, the rifle or you. The mag being full or not is irrelevant.

Except for when it is relevant. Without fail, two magazines, ten round group, the first round from each magazine 1" low. When loaded with less than 5 rounds this was not the case.
EDIT: These were not cold bore shots.

CalmerThanYou

I have the precision trainer 455. I think the manners composite stock is top notch.
My gun is so accurate and fun to shoot, It gets more range time than any other gun I own,
I recommend it without hesitation.

Model12Win

Rob, thank you for your service. I found myself in Ramstein unable to peruse my shooting hobby! It gets better with time. Stay safe and when you get back to a CONUS base you’ll be able to shoot all the time!

Chaparral

I have the CZ 455 Lux 22. A real dandy! And I have the CZ 455 varmit 22 mag on layaway. I hope it shoots as good as the 22 LR.

cw308

Years back I was looking for a 22lr. to shoot indoors in the cold weather , I'm a benchrest shooter 308 in the warmer weather. I picked up a used CZ 452 Varmint 22lr , didn't know much about CZ's but the rifle looked well made so now it's mine . I have no idea why someone would let this rifle go , ist the most accurate 22 I ever shot . The bore is so tight I couldn't use a 22 one piece rod , had to use a 20 Cal. Dewey one piece coated rod . The CZ 455 is the newer version if I'm not mistaking. Just check what rod you need before you take that badboy home. You won't be disappointed.

6MT

I had a 455 varmint in .17HMR. Wonderful rifle. Absolutely a sub 1/2moa gun. But that small pill does get blown about. But shooting under 75 yards, it's a killer.

I'm kind of sorry I sold it.