CZ 455 fs

JWT

Just picked up a new CZ 455 FS bolt action in .17HMR. It has a stock patterned after the full length, Mannlicher style. Well made with a very good trigger, and smooth action. Very accurate. Not crazy about the polymer magazines, but that's about my only complaint. Nice gun.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Have one in .22LR.
Ditto on mag, ditto on nice gun.
Only bolt-action rimfire I own, or want to own. :)
Denis

geetarman

Was the factory magazine polymer? I have a 452 and the factory mag was steel. I did buy four of the aftermarket 5 round and 4 of the 10 round magazines. They are polymer but I have had no trouble with them.

If you want steel, you can google for them or try Midway. I don't know if the 10 rounders are available in steel or not.

bigarm

If your 455 fs is as good as my 452 fs in 22 lr, you will be more than happy with it. It is a great rifle. So nice in fact, that my wife now calls it her 22 even though she has other 22's of her own!

hammie

@DPris: I know you're a published gun writer and expert, and so my eyebrows kind of shot up when you said that you only own one bolt action .22 and don't want another one.

I'm just curious (and if you want to share): What kind of .22 actions do you like? Autoloaders? (marlin 60, 10/22, rem 597. CZ 512.etc) or levers or what ever?

@JWT: Yes. CZ's are nice. I just got a 550 full stock centerfire last summer and I love it. The 455 fs might make a good companion piece.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Hammie,

Definitely not an "expert". :)

I remembered later after I posted here that I do have a 40-year-old Marlin .22 bolt sitting in the back of a safe, but it's been chopped a bit & I hadn't done anything with it in many years.
Stock was butchered a looooooong time ago.

A year or two back I was looking around for a good rimfire boltgun & finding it hard to meet my preferences.

Did not want a big-for-caliber rifle, did not want one with a "Glock" trigger, did not want a plastic stock, did not want a rotary magazine.

Did not, actually, want a removable mag at all.

Quality in a couple long-time models had changed, no finger-pointing & I won't be more specific.

I do favor a Mannlicher-style stock, the 455's sights are exactly what my eyes now need (apertures don't work well for me anymore), quality was very good, the dimensions appeal to me, the trigger is more than adequate, that stock is real WOOD, parts are readily available, and everything about the rifle conjoined to cause me to overlook the plastic mag. :)

This reminds me I need to start ordering parts & spare mags for the critter.

Otherwise, there are four Ruger 10/22s here, but my favorites are leverguns. One Marlin (pre-Rem) and one Win 9422 cutie.
Also like the Browning lever; beautifully made, but I've never kept one. Probably should have.

Not much personal interest in more than one rimfire boltgun, and no real reason (for ME) to look further.
Leverguns are faster, and harder to lose a trombone slide from than a detachable mag. :)

I wore out a Marlin 60 over three decades ago, it was a good gun.
Just not that much into semi-auto rifles in the caliber nowdays.

My preferred 10/22 is a short-barreled Target/Tactical with scope.
Gets me past the usual Ruger sights that my eyes don't do well with.

I emphasize that all of the above pertains only to me & my needs and preferences, after shooting a bundle of various guns over the years, and involve no recommendations for, or criticisms of, others' choices.
Denis

DPris

Member Emeritus
Forgot to mention it shoots nicely, too. :)
I have the advantage of trying various things out first, before buying them, and this one impressed enough to send CZ a check after I was done.
Denis

uradaisyifudo

Wow JWT, another one followed you home. Sounds like it ought to be a tack driver, or maybe a brad driver in .17. CZ looks to make some nice rifles, enjoy!

stubbicatt

The only nit I have to pick with my 452 is I have yet to figure out how to get the breech area of the chamber clean. You know, that area where the rounds feed in from the magazine? It is pretty rough machining in there and holds a lot of powder or carbon fouling, and it is a small enough area that my GI toothbrush won't get in there to break it loose.

Suggestions?

BTW, I love the tangent rear sight on my 452 FS. It is my favorite 22.

Thanks.