CZ 455 - .22WMR Project Rifle

Picher

I couldn't resist buying a like-new CZ 455 a month or so ago. I pillar-bedded it, but had problems with the original scope and with getting it to group well with the ammo I bought.

The scope was replaced with a Bushnell 4-12X-AO Banner, which is much better than the Cabela's caliber-specific 3-9X.

Groups and POI still vary, apparently due to the ammo. The best grouping ammo to date is CCI 30gr WMR, Polymer Tip V-Max bullets, (advertised) 2,200 fps. It shot two consecutive groups of 0.3" from the bench, then one 0.4" with my left hand supported, but no rear bag.

Other ammo was disappointing, especially the Winchester HP, Solids, and Dynapoints. It could be that the rifle just doesn't like the ammo, but they didn't group better than 1 1/4".

Federal 50 grain loads grouped 5/8", but 4 1/2" lower than the CCI 30 grain ammo at 50 yards. That's too much of a difference to tolerate as a back-up load.

I really liked the rifle for it's nice woodgrain, but now love it for it's accuracy. Only accurate rifles stay at my place very long. This one is a keeper!

(The pictures were with the original scope. Note that I drilled/tapped the receiver for Weaver top mounts.)

Attachments

• DSCN0524.jpg
    DSCN0524.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0521.jpg
    DSCN0521.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 124

Picher

According to my ballistics program, sighting in the CCI, V-Max 30 grain .22 WMR cartridges at 100 yards produces the following: 30 yards, -0.2"; 50 yds, +0.3; 70 yds, 0.5"; 100 yds, 0.0"; 120 yds, -0.4"; 150 yds, -3.1"; 200 yds; -9.2".

That seems to work very well for my uses here, holding within an inch to about 125 yards is perfect for smallish targets at closer ranges; holdover at the longer ranges is also easy to remember. I probably wouldn't use the rifle for coyotes beyond about 100 yards, but it's nice to have a rimfire with more punch, should I need to dispatch one while on a walkabout on the woods road and small fields down back.

JP

Gehrhard

I have become a fan and advocate of the .22 Mag. Twice as powerful as a .22 LR. It does have a reputation as a 125 yard gun.

Poodleshooter

Neat CZ!
I really like the switch barrel concept on those new 455s.
Did you ever play around with screw torque on the barrel? I wonder if that would affect grouping?

Scorch

My experience with ammo in my 22WMR matches yours pretty closely. WW ammo is all over the place, so I think it is an ammo issue and not a rifle preference issue. I actually use the Federal 50 gr load, it prints a bit lower but carried well out beyond the 150 yds mark, better than the faster lighter bullets. CCI MaxiMags also whoot well IME.

Picher

Poodleshooter:

I didn't play with screw torque, but noticed that the barrel didn't fit tightly before tightening the set screws, so just cleaned contact parts and used high-strength Locktite to prevent all movement, tightening set screws at the same time to achieve good fit and assure proper headspace.

This is a trick I use on all my 10-22 accurizing jobs. It's still easy to remove barrels by heating the receiver with an electric heat gun until the material releases. Do it outside, since the smoke is acrid (that heat level doesn't damage either barrel or receiver, since Loctite melts at a much lower temperature than that which begins to affect steel).

This rifle will never see another caliber as long as I own it. I have too many other .22LRs to fool with that caliber, and don't intend to try the .17 HMR.