CZ 45 vs 92

Coltdriver

I understand that CZ is again making the CZ 45 or 1945 and is selling it as the CZ 92.

Can you get a CZ 92 in the US.

Anyone know the story here?

Eric Larsen

The CZ 45 was a final design of a project that started in 1936 and ran thru the 40's. CZ made many of these guns, the 45 model designation many say was the most produced CZ in history.
Unknown numbers were imported into the states, before the GCA of 68. They are very popular in Europe and most close coutries ..and have been so common that people have reportedly picked them up for the equivalent of $10.00 US currency...again just hearsay. In 1992 CZ had an adequate "need" in the market
to produce the gun again...or at least a very very close copy.
Its essentially the same gun. The safety systems built into the original are very adequate for the current model production...mag disconnect and DAO trigger. I have heard CZ is using the same tooling for the 92 as they used for the 45...I cant say this is true...pretty old tooling. But if you compare the 2 guns....they are
pretty much identical. CZ 92's are very rare in the states..because of the importation ban. I saw one at a gun show last year. 45's are more common and still considered quite rare.

The intratec protec 25 was produced to take up where the ban left off...its a very close copy of the Cz. The mags are interchangeable and some internal parts....I have used CZ mags in a protec 25 I used to have. Worked perfectly.....but the quality isnt quite up to CZ issue....oh well. Here is a pic of a 45...
Shoot well

Attachments

• cz45.jpg
    cz45.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 445

Badger Arms

About a Year ago I contacted CZ-USA about importing a CZ92 for the purposes of Testing and Evaluation. I was turned down. There is No market for the CZ92 in the US, they have no desire to do the paperwork, and there is no practical purpose to the venture as I was told.

It is a very good design. The same trigger was used on the CZ38 which was a HUGE 380 pistol and served as the basis for the Seecamp, NAA Guardian, and that genre of pistols. Internally, they are very similar.
Vz38_L.jpg
CZ 38

Badger Arms

The GCA of 1968 prevents its importation but does allow for certain importation for T&E purposes. I'm not a big-shot enough to get one though. I'd imagine that traveling overseas you could get one and bring it back.

Coltdriver

Badger Arms,

So it is legal, if you are overseas, to pick up a foreign pistol and bring it back in to the US (machine guns, assault rifles and that genre excepted of course).??

Badger Arms

Hmmmm. Wish I knew. I know that I have seen many a pistol brought back that would NOT meet the GCA68 criteria. I think that if you buy one over there while in the Military and ship it back with household goods, it's not considered importing it. Might be wrong on this as I've only gotten it second-hand. As it is, I've got Friends overseas I'm hitting up to do just that. Asking the BATF is a lost cause, they always say no.

Normally, you'd have to fill out a BATF Form-6 or something like that. This is for importing firearms. BATF will deny it if it doesn't meet their standards. If, however, you are purchasing a firearm and then storing it in the armory while stationed there you'd just be shipping it with your household goods back to the states. Interesting if the loophole would work.

Mike OTDP

I like the Cz45 a lot, as I consider it the most practical .25 out there. A real grab-and-empty-into-foe gun. And it's no secret that Larry Seecamp reverse-engineered it into the LWS 25...which begat the LWS 32 and LWS 380.

That being said, if I had a way to bypass GCA68 and get a mini-gun into the United States, it would be a PSM. Actually two...because I could sell the second for pretty good money.