CZ 40B

subhuman

picked this up last Thursday, was just to cool of a find to pass up, it was a joint venture between Colt and CZ, Colt took delivery of 800 pistols that they called the Z40 then backed out on CZ leaving them with the remaining pistols.CZ used their DA/SA trigger system in the rest of the pistols and sold them as the CZ 40B.

hYVN1kB.jpg

6V6GCRk.jpg

xh08EBK.jpg

glWN0nY.jpg

first mag I put through it @ 15 yards shooting at about 1 shot per second I feel pretty good about the way it feels and shoots, this should be a long friendship,

pAnSrUW.jpg

DMK

Nice find!

Back around 2003, I drove about 100 miles to a small gunshop way out in the sticks to pick up a NIB 40B for $280 after a bunch of emails with the owner. The kid in the shop had almost sold it to another customer, but I had the emails as proof of the deal arranged earlier in the week. I'm really glad I stood fast. I never saw another one locally, though I did see a Colt Z-40 once at a gunshow with a $900 price tag on it. That was cool to actually see and handle one. Other than the DAO trigger, and the Colt rollmarks, it was identical to mine.

That gun has been a great shooter all these years. Pleasant to shoot and very accurate. I used to shoot it in USPSA and it never let me down. It also shares the same mags as my .40S&W CZ-75, so that's a plus too.

If you ever want to change the sights, it uses Colt Defender sights BTW.

Best of luck with yours!

Walt Sherrill

subhuman said:
Yep the Rami and the 40P we're developed from the 40B

The Rami, yes... but the 40P was apparently an afterthought, more thrown together than "developed."

It seems that the 40P was created to use up an inventory of 40B slides. CZ used them up by mounting the 40B slides on a modified P-01 frame -- the 40P is as much P-01 as 40B. A P-01 slide won't function on the 40P frame; neither will a Kadet Kit.

While liked by some, I always considered the 40P to be some sort of "frankengun" -- with a weird magazine (i.e.,a full-size mag fitted with a grip extension so that it fit the compact [P-01] grip frame.) Sort of a semi-compact. But good luck finding an appropriate holster. (The 40B was considered a compact and didn't need the extra grip piece!)

I never saw the value or allure of the 40P -- but liked the 40B. Someone made me an offer for my 40B I couldn't refuse, and now I wish I had. I hope to get another 40B one of these days.

Walt Sherrill

subhuman said:
half-cocked position, safety will only engage if full cocked, no decocker so hammer must be lowered into double action mode by hand

And for those who might think this is less safe:

1) this gun (like all "B" model CZs) has a firing pin (block) safety, such that the firing pin can only move forward if the FPB safety has been disengaged when the trigger is pulled FULLY to the rear...

2) the "half-cock" position is the starting and "decock-to" position for all decocker CZs and the same hammer design (half-cock notch) is used in all 75B-based models.

3) the decocker-equipped CZs (based on the original 75/75B design - not the Omega system) have one hammer hook removed to make room for the decocker mechanism. This model, being a "safety-equipped" model, has two hammer hooks, and that means, at least in theory, that this model is more safe than a decocker model, should the firing pin block fail when the gun is dropped.

Last edited:

CUBAN REDNECK

Awesome find

Sub, awesome find. Bought one a few years back in a pawn shop for $300. Came with two mags. Will take MECGAR .40 cal CZ mags, (CZ P06 mags). Smooth shooter.

chaim

Great find. I had one that I bought when they were still available new (they were still in production, but soon thereafter they ceased production). Unfortunately, it was before I became a fan of the .40S&W round. Had I bought it a year or two later, or had it been a 9mm or .45 I'd still have it. But, at the time, I thought I didn't like .40S&W and I ended up selling it. It didn't take long until I regretted that. If I could find a nice CZ 40B at a decent price and at the same time I had the spare cash, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and never let it go again.