Cylinder loading stand quality

Rookie21

To each their own. Personally I wouldn't waste the money. I'd look for a machinist and have one built so that you can interchange an end piece specific to caliber with a lip that stops you from seating it further than a few thousandths below the surface of the cylinder. That's the best place for the ball. You limit the jump it has to make to the barrel. Just use corn meal or cream of wheat as a filler for lighter loads. Tha way your seat depth is uniform and adds to the idea of consistency and accuracy. Tonight I will post pics of the one I use.

maillemaker

Hi Ben,

Also, I found the link for the one I actually own. I don't own the Powder Inc one, but mine is similar.

This is the one I own:

http://www.biglube.com/

I can't figure out how to link directly to their loading stand page, but if you go to the Home page and then click on Bullet Extras on the left-side menu, you will see an entry for "Tower of Power cylinder loading stand".

It comes with arbors to fit the 1858 Remington and the 1860 Colt. You can also get them for other guns like the Walker.

Steve

maillemaker

Also I agree with Rookie the ideal is to have a plunger made with a step that seats the ball consistently to the same depth near the chamber mouth. The Tower of Power plunger does not do that out-of-the-box.

Steve

AKexpat

Unless one has a pistol with less than a barrel length of 6", I cannot fathom why one would want a cylinder loading stand, unless one has an accomplice that does nothing but load cylinders off of the pistol so the shooter can burn powder.

Any Remington NMA percussion, and any Colt open top percussion with load lever, etc., with a barrel length of 6"+ has an adequate load lever length to load the cylinder on the pistol.

There should be no reason, IMO, to have a loading stand.

Here's an 1848 Replica Arms El Paso Texas .31 caliber Pocket with a 5 3/4" barrel (nominal 6") that needs no loading stand (a small pistol, very much diminutive compared to even the 1851 Navy):

1848%20Pocket%20013_zpsxkpquedz.jpg

And this one only has the V-notch loading "port" on the right side of the barrel, as opposed to the more oval types 1 and 2 on the 1849 Pocket pistols throughout their long run.

1848%20Pocket%20008_zpsvrb3fcqv.jpg

maillemaker

There should be no reason, IMO, to have a loading stand.

While you certainly can load using the built-in rammer, and I do, a loading stand is generally faster and can enable more consistent loading. It's also easier to apply over-ball lube on the cylinder out of the gun than in it.

Steve

Howard31

Cylinder Loader

Ben you did well with the Powder Inc loader. The other ones the base is too small and you can't always get enough leverage. It helps if you mount the powder inc to a scrap piece of lumber.

Rookie21

I ment to post these sooner... It's not MY press because I don't own one but its on an unlimited loan to me from another retired shooter and it's the best press I've ever used. It's rusted over and has developed a "brown finish" and there is definitely some surface rust but the gears and arm still works smooth and fluent. The end that comes into contact with the ball is a brass insert that's held in with a set screw. It's interchangeable for different calibers.

foolzrushn

Rookie

I believe that may be an old bearing seal press. But there were probably many devices that used a similar mechanism. Nice to see that it lives on.

44 Dave

I have a tool with that same mechanism (rack and pinion) that is for rivets on brake shoes and Model T transmission bands.

Rookie21

The idea was probably borrowed from something like that but thean that made this one made four and marked them with his name and which number it was. The owner of this one has 1 and 2.

Rookie21

I can't control the depth. But it does have a stop. A caliber specific end piece made of solid brass fits into the end on the ram. It's contoured to fit the ball and has a lip that comes to rest on the face of the cylinder but letting the ball come to rest a few thousandths below the cylinders face. I have two, one for .45 and one for .36.