Cylinder in S&W Won't Swing Out Any Ideas?

dallasconundrum

Hey everybody, about a month ago, I bought a used Model 13-3 Nickel finish. I have shot it twice I think, about 20 times each session. Other than that It has been sitting in the box. As far as looks go it is at least 95%, and the action is very smooth on it. However, I got it out this weekend to look it over, as I was thinking about taking it out, and the cylinder wouldn't swing out. You can finally get it to swing free if you play with it a little, but something is certainly wrong. Have any of you ever had a similar problem, or have any ideas what the deal might be. I don't know just a whole lot about working on guns, but I thought I might see if there was something fairly simple that could be done before I take it in to have it worked on/sent off.
Thanks

JN01

If the ejector rod is coming unscrewed, it could bind up enough to make it difficult to open the cylinder. Make sure it is tightened up.

Is the crane sticky once the cylinder is clear of the frame? Probably needs to be cleaned and lubed. You loosen (it need not be fully removed, but loosened almost all the way) the forwardmost screw on the right side of the frame and gently slip the cylinder/crane assembly forward and off. make sure you use a proper hollow ground gunsmithing screwdriver and not a mechanic's screwdriver as this will bugger up the screw head. Clean the whole thing with gun solvent and apply a dab of oil to the moving parts.

Also make sure the ejector rod is tight. If the ejector rod is loose it can back out making it longer and jam the gun closed.

XavierBreath

It could also be varnish build up in the crane pivot joint, or the yoke screw being swapped with the round head frame screw.

I don't think you need to "send it off", but simply find a reliable gunsmith of the old school variety in your area. Chances are he will have it taken care of in under ten minutes and charge you little to nothing if you ae a good sort with a story.

POI is on target, but make sure you have hollow ground screwdrivers that fit before trying to turn that screw, OK?

dallasconundrum

Ahhh...I wish I had it up here with me. I am up at school, and I left it back at home as this is my last week up here. I knew I should've brought it anyway though. I'll certainly try all of you suggestions when I get back home this weekend though. I feel that it is probably something fairly minor as it just "happened" without my having done anything to it. Now if I had dropped it, or locked it up or something like that and this happened I would be a bit more worried that something was damaged, but as none of those things happened I am not too concerned about mechanical failure. Thanks for the suggestions though guys, I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I find out.

dallasconundrum

Oh, and another piece of info. Once freed, the little nipple (sorry I don't know a lot of the technical terms for all of the parts, like I say I have had several revolvers for quite awhile but have only shot and cleaned them never really had to work on them) in the center of the ejector housing is VERY hard to push in fully. Could that be the problem there?

Sir William

I daresay there are two possible problems. The first is crud and powder and lube have mixed into sludge and gummed up the ejector rod/pin lock/internal spring in the cylinder. This can easily be remedied with CRC Brakleen and a few sprays outside. You will be surprised what will dissolve. The other possibility is that a piece of nickel plating has stripped off and is interfering with the tolerances. The ejector rod can be eliminated by trying to turn it by hand, if it easily turns, it is the issue. If it is tight, it is not the issue. You might also check the thumblatch and lockcap for a secure fit.

MADISON

Ben ther and dun that!
Try this:
[1] Take a wood or rubber hammer and tap the cylinder open.
[2] Take a pair of SOFT PLIERS and tighten the revolver's EJECTOR ROD.

Chances are very good that it's an unscrewing ejector rod.

DO NOT try to force it open by tapping on the cylinder with a hammer!

You can bend the ejector rod, damage the locking seat on the end of the ejector rod, or damage the locking stud.

To remedy this situation, you need...

1. A business card.

2. Several match sticks or popscicle sticks.

Things are a made a little easier because the Model 13 doesn't have a shrouded ejector rod.

Hold the revolver so that you can look at it from the side. Just above the trigger, you'll see a small stud that pushes up into the cylinder. This is the cylinder bolt. When you pull the trigger partially, you'll see that it drops down.

Take the business card, and with the trigger slightly pulled to move the cylinder bolt out of the way, and slip the business card between the frame and the cylinder. This will block the cylinder bolt and all you to "freewheel," or turn, the cylinder.

Next, take the popscicle stick or match stick and wedge it between the knurled end on the ejector rod and the barrel (you can also grasp the ejector rod with padded pliers, but I find wedging the rod to be easier).

Now, watching the ejector rod to make sure that it doesn't move, turn the cylinder counter clockwise to screw the rod back into place.

DO NOT try to force the cylinder at this point. Right now your only concern is to get the cylinder open.

Once you do that, you need to tighten the rod.

Take three, or even six, fired shells and put them in the cylinder. This will protect the extractor star and the alignment splines from being damaged when you torque on the ejector rod.

Grasp the cylinder firmly with one hand, and with padded pliers (use leather, or rubber, less slip) firmly torque the ejector rod into place.

This should take care of your problem, at least in the short term.

If it happens again, you'll need to disassemble the cylinder, thoroughly clean it, and use a little of the WEAKEST loctite, the non-permanent stuff, on the threads to keep the rod screwed into place.

Bart Noir

Good advice, Mike. But I think I remember that my 625 is reverse threaded. Looking at the front end of the cylinder, I think I had to turn the rod counter-clockwise to tighten.

So, did I imagine this? Or are some S&W versions threaded opposite of what we expect?

Bart Noir

Modern S&W ejector rods are threaded so that they tighten in the direction of cylinder rotation.

So, to tighten, you should turn the cylinder counter clockwise (or the ejector rod clockwise).

Being left handed, I often get this mixed up...

dallasconundrum

Once again, thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate all the advice. This weekend when I get in I will try some of your suggestions, and let you know what the problem is. I feel like (with all the advice) I can probably fix it myself. Now, I am just itching to get it done. It will drive me crazy having to wait until Friday to work on it...

dallasconundrum

Well, guys just got home to it. It was the ejector rod. It had worked loose. I tightened it back up and everything is working fine. I'll keep a closer watch on it for awhile to make sure it doesn't start to back out again. Thanks for the advice everyone, you guys saved me a trip to the gunsmith!

hasbro_fan

Thank you

I wanted you to know that I had an issue with my non-S&W 357 where it felt tighter than normal trying to open the cylinder to re-load, found this thread, checked, and found the rod had unscrewed itself a little bit. Tightened it up, and back to normal.

So my thanks to this thread for sharing a solution.

Nnobby45

You learn some need tricks on this board. Mikes' method is a little different than what I've been shown. I'll remember it.

Here's what I would have done.

Make sure cylinder screw on the side plate is tight! That's solved the problem more than once.:D

If the problem is an unscrewed ejector rod on a typical left-hand threaded S&W--- then put pressure on the ejector rod (push in tight if it's shrouded) so it can't turn. Pull the trigger. This will turn the cylinder C. Clkwise and screw it in for you so you can open the cylinder.

CAUTION: Of course, if you're on the range, make certain you fire all the rounds first!:eek: If the gun is loaded and somehow the rod managed to get unscrewed and you'r not where you can fire all the rounds, then Mike's instructions sound like they'll do the trick.

Tighten the cylinder as Mike outlined.

A Master revolver smith simply took out the cylinder--- put the rod in a vice, tightened it without any maring at all, placed two rounds (opposite one another) in the cylinders and hand tightened it to the left.

MADISON

Cylinder won't swing out?

Being a used gun, the previous owner may have shot hot loads in it and "stressed the frame".

Word on the ejector rod unscrewing.

Once it happens, its very likely going to happen again. And again. And again.

Loctite can be your friend.

drail

If anyone tells you to take a hammer or mallet and beat on a precision firearm like a S&W revolver do not listen to that individual. Never force anything on a firearm. Thank you Mike Irwin for your post.