Cylinder Drag Line

TomL

From the time its new how long/many rounds fired does it take for the cylinder to start showing the drag mark of the cyl lock? I'm trying to get an idea on this to determine amount of use it takes if at all possible, might be different for each but worth asking. The revolver in question is a SS S&W 38 Spcl. M60. Tom

gwnorth

Sometimes it will show right after the first few cylinder rotations (either dry fire or live fire). Depending on how many times the cylinder has been opened and closed, it can show up as a partial turn line without any firing, just because the cylinder wasn't exactly indexed when swung shut so had to be rotated a bit (against the cylinder latch) to line up a cylinder notch.

Especially on a blued gun, it can appear very quickly with the first bit of use. And even on a stainless one, it will show pretty quickly with use.

IMO, it is not an useful indicator of usage at all. Even for a given model, it will vary a lot, since the cylinder latch beveling may be a little different from one gun to the next, the cylinder latch plunger spring tension may be a bit different from one gun to another - just not something that usefully tells you much about how much use a gun has seen. Especially after the first couple of hundred rounds, you could not use it to tell a gun with hundreds of rounds through it from one with thousands.

Depending on how many test rounds are fired by the manufacturer, a factory new gun may come with a faint drag line already in place.

rodfac

My M-60, a 5" barreled model, has no line whatsoever...I'd estimate that I've put several hundred rounds through it. Since it's SS, you can polish them out if they bug you. Rodfac

TomL

Thanks for the fast replys. I also read somewhere that a .017" feeler gauge between cylinder face and barrel mouth is the max excepatable clearance, true/false? Any more would show lots of use and + loads. Anything to that info? Thanks . Tom

azredhawk44

That's a lot more than I've heard.

I've heard that it's desireable to be around 0.004 to 0.006. 0.008 is getting sloppy.

gwnorth

Agreed - my revolvers (old and new Ruger DA's, S&W 65) have cylinder gaps of between about 0.003" and 0.007"

FlyFish

.017 is well out of spec even by S&W's current acceptability criteria (.012, I believe), and .012 would never have made it out of the factory in years past.

madmag

Second FlyFish

.017 is way out of spec. I don't like any above .007, but I guess you can get by with .010.

Last edited:

drail

Cylinder drag lines will appear worse depending upon how rough the surface of the bolt/stop is. You can polish it and it will not gouge the finish as bad but it's still going to make a line. Yes, it can be stopped but it's not worth the trouble involved to retime the stop. As long as it releases and locks the cyl. when it's supposed to I would not worry about it.

TomL

Cylinder Drag

Thanks for the replies and spec info. I have decided to pass on making the M60 mine. Tom

TomL

Cylinder Drag

Well it was a trade deal but the owner said $450-500 which IMO is too much and my trade I feel was worth more, also I was told by a gun dealer what they sell for used or its value which is why I passed on it. Tom

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just FWIW, on S&W's, drag lines are normal and should be present after a relatively small amount of shooting/dry firing. If they are not, the revolver is out of time.

But on Colt DA's and Colt type Single Actions the cylinder bolt should drop (it's called "dropping" even though it is moving up) into the leade, which is the triangular cut ahead of the stop notch. If the bolt drops too soon, and mars the cylinder, the revolver is out of time. In addition, most SA's have too strong a bolt spring and the bolt gouges the cylinder; a good tuneup job will prevent that.

Jim