cylinder base pin stuck in Taurus Gaucho

Ifishsum

Put the first 80 rounds through my new Taurus Gaucho .45LC the other day, and at the end of the session, the cylinder pin was stuck pretty tightly - took a lot of effort and some padded pliers to remove it. It appeared that there was some peening from the cross pin going on, making a tiny ridge just behind the groove, around the circumference of the pin. Once out it would not go back in all the way - I had to lightly file it to get it back in. What factors might cause this condition? They were book 250gr lead loads (8 gr unique), and the cross pin seems fine (it was tight) and the base pin didn't ever back out that I noticed - I can't really think of anything else that would make this happen unless the pin was too soft. Ideas? I'd probably try a Belt Mountain pin before I sent it back if that might help...

Last edited:

Hafoc

A base pin too tight? That's a new one.

I haven't seen that Belt Mountain makes base pins for a Gaucho. If you find they do, could you let me (or us) know?

The only thing I can think of that might do this is if the hammer is hitting the base pin at the rear, driving it forward against the cross bolt. That could happen on an exact Colt clone, as the hole for the base pin extends right through into the channel for the hammer. In fact, some of the clones use a base pin with two grooves as a sort of "safety--" you can lock the base pin in a second position where it blocks the hammer from striking cartridge primers.

But in the Taurus there's a transfer bar in between. So you'd have to have the hammer hitting the transfer bar, and the transfer bar hitting the base pin. I'd guess you could look for peening at the rear of the base pin, and/or shine a light down behind the transfer bar to see whether this is even possible.

Does your cylinder have any foreward-backward shake? Could it be binding against the base pin enough that its inertia too is bashing the pin against the crossbolt?

If none of the above, I guess I'd see whether your little bit of filing here and there has cured the problem. Other than that, ask Taurus.

Please let me know what you find out in any case.

Ifishsum

That gives me a couple other things to look at, thanks. Everything else seems to fit well on this revolver. It's supposed to be a clone with the exception of the transfer bar, so I'm hoping the standard pin will work.

Taurus isn't much help on the telephone - they want it there to see the problem and I guess I understand that, I'm just not quite ready to go there - kinda like giving up on your wife during the honeymoon :D

My plan is to shoot it a couple more times, with the old pin and with the new pin (if it fits) - if the pin sticks again it'll go back.

Ifishsum

Update: The standard Belt Mountain pin is slightly long and hits the transfer bar but I can make it fit by taking 1/8" off the back.

Fired another 70 rounds and the factory pin is stuck again, so I guess this one will head back for them to fix. Aside from that this is a great pistol, accurate and shoots very close to POA, and the trigger is just sweet.

Ifishsum

no, it's the standard pin for Colt SAA and clones. Again, it's a little too long and interferes with the transfer bar, but shortened slightly it works great.