CX4 Storm Q's??

CB3

I got my Beretta CX4 Storm .40 S&W for Christmas! I am excited to get it dressed up to be functional for me. Can some of you help answer some questions? Beretta has not yet responded.

1. Does the forward under barrel retractable rail lock up? Mine just extends without locking and has play in it--eliminating it for consideration for a laser sight. Since directly under the barrel is best for a laser, would I have to mount a laser to the barrel? I assume the vertical grip I want to add to the bottom and side rail kit would take up the whole bottom rail (unless in some way the bottom rail could be replaced with a longer one extending forward).
2. What hi-cap mags would this .40 take--8040?--and what capacity would they be? Are mag spacers necessary/available?
3. What is the "Mag Insert" used for on the Accessories page on the Beretta website?
4. I want to sling this weapon in front of me. I have a Mini-14 with a folding stock that has a sling stud on top of the rear of the receiver, and a barrel mounted rotating sling swivel. These two attachment points allow the gun to ride horizontally in front of me, mag and pistol grip facing down.
I can put a front swivel on a rail for the CX4, but the rear presents a problem. I am considering anchoring a stud into the stock behind and below the rear sight. An alternative might be to put a strap around the stock for a top attachment point, which I believe is cumbersome and could get in the way. I am surprised Beretta has not provided for this, considering Europeans have been slinging carbines/SMGs this way for decades.
5. Is the front sight the same post as for M16's? Can it be replaced with a Tritium post? Is there a tritium rear sight available, perhaps more of a ghost ring than a peep?
6. Any specific directions on improving the trigger pull?

Thanks in advance for any help. CB3

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
1. Does the forward under barrel retractable rail lock up? Mine just extends without locking and has play in it--eliminating it for consideration for a laser sight. Since directly under the barrel is best for a laser, would I have to mount a laser to the barrel? I assume the vertical grip I want to add to the bottom and side rail kit would take up the whole bottom rail (unless in some way the bottom rail could be replaced with a longer one extending forward).
I'm pretty sure that the under-barrel rail locks out. I'll double check when I get to work, though.
2. What hi-cap mags would this .40 take--8040?--and what capacity would they be? Are mag spacers necessary/available?
Beretta 96 magazines (You can test some of the 92 extra-capacity mags for reliability; they generally run fine in .40's.)
3. What is the "Mag Insert" used for on the Accessories page on the Beretta website?
I'd assume that that's the gizmo in the mag well that allows Cougar mags to be used in the .45 Storm.
4. I want to sling this weapon in front of me. I have a Mini-14 with a folding stock that has a sling stud on top of the rear of the receiver, and a barrel mounted rotating sling swivel. These two attachment points allow the gun to ride horizontally in front of me, mag and pistol grip facing down.
I can put a front swivel on a rail for the CX4, but the rear presents a problem. I am considering anchoring a stud into the stock behind and below the rear sight. An alternative might be to put a strap around the stock for a top attachment point, which I believe is cumbersome and could get in the way. I am surprised Beretta has not provided for this, considering Europeans have been slinging carbines/SMGs this way for decades.
You could probably pur a swivel on of several places on the gun and rig up a single-point, no problem.
5. Is the front sight the same post as for M16's? Can it be replaced with a Tritium post? Is there a tritium rear sight available, perhaps more of a ghost ring than a peep?
I don't know, although they look awful similar. If you can get a human being to answer the phone at Beretta, you could ask. ;)

CB3

Some answers

1. My under barrel rail does lock out when pulled out far enough. It was very stiff and I had not gotten it out as far as it is supposed to go.

2. Are there hi-caps that hold more than 12 rounds for the .40, or should I just adapt 9MM mags as suggested?

I now have about 400 rounds through it, and I must say I am impressed with how accurate I can be with it. Using the stock sights shooting offhand, and with 55 year old eyes that aren't so sharp any more, I had no trouble shooting a three inch group at 25 yards. Of course the gun can do better than that, but what's important is that I could do it.

I have a rear sling stud on its way to me, along with some Beretta accessories.

I found that some white lithium grease on the trigger/hammer surfaces makes the trigger much lighter and gentler. It was very stiff and creepy. I assume shooting it a bunch also helps tame the factory feel.

Thanks for the help. CB3

9mmsnoopy

cb3, dont expect any fast reponses from beretta, i sent them an email regarding hi-cap mags and it took a month to get a response. its my understanding that 15 round mags are in development for the 40 caliber, and you sure would think that SOMEONE would make a 20 rounder or maybe a 30 rounder? this type of weapon just screams for hi capacity.

on a different note, how was your cleaning experiance with the storm? a headache or hassle free?

smince

I'm not that familiar with the Storm, but this may help on the front sight. The AR15/M16 is tapped 8-36 fine thread. I just replaced the front on my Mechtech CCU with an XS 24/7 tritium for an AR15.

CB3

Storm Cleaning

I thoroughly cleaned the Storm last night. It was very easy. The take down was the simplest of any gun I own, and reassembly was just as easy. The take down allows clear access to the breech end of the barrel for cleaning. The whole bolt assembly slips out for easy cleaning. The internals wipe of easily with a rag or cotton swab (small places).

The gun came with oil throughout the innards. I prefer light weight white lithium grease because it stays in place better and provides a better film for lubrication. I used a thin film of this on the moving parts, including the trigger/hammer mechanism, and felt a great improvement in the action and trigger on reassembly.

Grease will hold more contaminants than oil, but only because it is still there when oil is not. I do not let my guns go too long between cleanings, but usually they reach 300-500 rounds before I break them down. Grease works just fine here. Just don't overdo it. A little dab'll do ya.

Jseime

Sweet gun

thats a sweet looking gun but i didnt think people were allowed to have star wars guns then again i am from canada the land of gun control :mad: :barf: