CVA Hunter tough to open after firing.

deerslayer303

Hey guys,
I need some advice. I bought a CVA Hunter earlier this year in .243. My issue is after firing, it is super tough to open the breech. You have the pull the button with your finger and slap the top of the barrel with your other hand. It only does this after firing. The case is not stuck when you do get it open, and no other signs on the spent case to indicate issues. I've looked the rifle over in great detail and I don't see a thing wrong. The only ammo I've used so far is Monarch (brass) 100gr. The cheap stuff from academy. Any Ideas? I wanted to ask you guys' advice before I called CVA. I don't really want to send it back to them.

How do the primers look? Are they raised/mushroomed?
Some of the monarch ammo is loaded pretty hot and showed signs of over pressure in .223 that my friend shot.

Could be primer flowing into the firing pin channel or a sticky firing pin not returning after firing. Did you clean the rifle after purchase, before firing?

deerslayer303

Here is a pic of 2 of the spent cases. All of the primer look about the same. I did disassemble the rifle, cleaned, oiled and reassembled before shooting it for the first time. But this didn't involve a total disassembly though. It may just be an ammo issue??
fadd8e22eeb8509d8557cc937b45004f.jpg

Those primers look perfectly fine to me, so rules out over pressure ammo.

I would clean the firing pin channel next, to hopefully rule that out. Then try different ammo.

rightside

If you have some other manufacturer's ammo, compare the rim thickness. I bought some Monarch 30-30 awhile back and it wouldn't cycle in my '94 without an undo amount of force. Thinking something was wrong with my rifle, I spent an unnecessary amount of time trying to "fix" my gun. Turned out the rim was slightly thicker on the Monarch ammo and was causing all the cycling problems . Check the dimensions and see if it matches some rounds that don't hang up your rifle. (assuming you find some) Worth a shot and could save you all the trouble I went to.

gman3

Its ammunition manufactured by Prvi Partizan, or it's using their cases at least.

They do sometimes have issues with rim dimensions. I have used it in 25-06 and .30-06 and have experienced shell holder difficulties with some of the cases, not all of them. Other than that, I like them.

Therein could be the source of the problem. It does however seem that fired or unfired would not make any difference if that were the problem.

Try some different ammo. If the problem goes away, there is your answer.

If not then take it back to where you bought it if it is new, and take care of business with them as best you can. Maybe they will make it right.

Last edited: