Cutting edge bullets worth it?

nhyrum

So I have been digging around looking for my next, future elr big bore rifle (338 lapua or 375 cheytac) and stumbled upon these guys. They charge a very, shiny, gold plated pretty penny for their bullets! Their 6.5mm 143 grain target is a buck a pop! With only a g1 BC, that isn't fantastic. .600. And no advertised g7.

Are they really worth that cost?

Jimro

No, not really.

No real advantage over Berger or Sierra. Sierra gives multiple G1 BCs with velocity because the G1 model doesn't do well with low drag boat tail bullets. Berger gives the G7 BC.

Although I use Nosler Custom Comp, because they are good bullets for not much money. Even without the highest BC they are very consistent (as all match bullets must be).

Jimro

nhyrum

No, not really.

No real advantage over Berger or Sierra. Sierra gives multiple G1 BCs with velocity because the G1 model doesn't do well with low drag boat tail bullets. Berger gives the G7 BC.

Jimro

Exactly why I don't care for the g1. I literally know nothing more about the bullet lol the g1 tells me just about nothing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

An moderator called Unclenick posted at my thread an rather comprehensive Explanation about the different drag Formulas referring to Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional Density.

For handgun bullets it does not matter that much matching the G1 through G7 bullet shape to YOUR bullet. But for rifle (Long range) it matters. The origins of the G1-G7 functions come originally from the artillery.
Here the link: see post #9 (autorship belongs to Unclenick)
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580709

nhyrum

An moderator called Unclenick posted at my thread an rather comprehensive Explanation about the different drag Formulas referring to Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional Density.

For handgun bullets it does not matter that much matching the G1 through G7 bullet shape to YOUR bullet. But for rifle (Long range) it matters. The origins of the G1-G7 functions come originally from the artillery.
Here the link: see post #9 (autorship belongs to Unclenick)
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580709
I understand the difference in drag coefficients. My question is about this specific brand of bullets

If you read the rather lenthy lesson I linked ther for you you will have few questions left (if any).

G1 and G7 are Ballistic Coefficients. Which is again linked to Sectional Density.

Any higher BC is better. If it is worthed is up to you.

I would cast my own lead bullet for middle range Shooting if I would be able to load rifle ammo.

Compared to my BC of 0.75 for my Wadcutters your BC of 0.6 is a shiny one.

nhyrum

Any higher BC is better. If it is worthed is up to you.

I would cast my own lead bullet for middle range Shooting if I would be able to load rifle ammo.
My question is about how they perform. If they are that much more consistent, I think they would be worth it. But I need someone who has experience with at least the manufacturer.

Also, I have read through that artillery description of bc's. My question is two fold I guess. Has someone calculated/tested and found a g7 for these, and how is the consistency.

Last edited: