Cutting and crowning barrel, how to measure length?

Norrick

If I want to cut and re-crown my own barrel without going under the legal limit, what is the correct way to measure barrel length of a bolt action rifle?

I don't want to botch it and suddenly have a short barreled rifle that is gonna get me in all sorts of trouble.

sc928porsche

Barrel length is measured by having the bolt face closed and using a rod and sliding it down the bore untill it contacts the bolt. Mark the rod and then remove. Measure the distance from the mark to the end that contacted the bolt.

Mobuck

I would suggest not going closer than 1/4-1/2" of the minimum length. If you have a problem with the crown, that leaves you some metal to correct it.

Gehrhard

Or some prosecuting attorney with a bad ruler. There was a famous case of a guy in jail for such an illegal gun and his own attorney never measured the barrel and the prosecutor measured it wrong. He changed attorneys for his appeal and was realeased within weeks.

sc928porsche

As for legal length, Check with ATF requirements. I would also suggest that it be 1/2 inch longer than minimum.

Update: ATF minimum lenght requirement is 16 inches unless a special permit is aquired from them.