Customized Super Blackhawks?

oldcars

So, I like custom guns and I feel the need to put one together on a New Model Super Blackhawk I have and have a few questions. My gun is an earlier one that still had realy smooth action and the high polished blue. I like the gun but don't like the 7 1/2" barrel, the bigger gripframe and the squared-off trigger gaurd. My plan is to cut the barrel to 5" and crown it with a deep target crown, install a brass or polished aluminum Blackhawk grip frame, mabe a #5 style base pin, and a front sight I just got from midway (# 187825) that is listed as a front sight for a 10 1/2" barreled SBH but should work on this custom great and it has a undercut shape I like to avoid glare. I have already considered selling the gun and buying one with a shorter barrel, but I only paid $275 for it and my modifications aren't that expensive. Plus, I know this one shoots! It isn't perfect so it's not a collector piece, just a good shooter that I would like to be able to pack.
Does anyone have any experience cutting up a SBH? any pictures of your custom? anything else I should do?
Thanks!

p.s. I would realy like to se pictures of any Blackhawks with polished aluminum or brass gripframes

MDB

I have an OM SBH that was cut to 5". I bought it for $200 years ago. It is a great shooter that is scary accurate and is easy to carry all day. IMHO you should check out www.rugerforum.com to get the information you are seeking. There are some great people there [as there are here] that are willing to help.

custom 5 shot 50 special...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

D-Ric902

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0364_1.jpg

IMG_0362_1.jpg

I had this one sent to Magnaport to get the barrel cut down to 4 inches and a birdshead gripframe fitted that I got from Brownells then do a Predator package on it
Shoots like a charm but it does roll up in your han with hot loads :D

Lazy R

Friend of mine's 3 screw Blackhawk with polished frame and hammer. It is gorgeous in person. I liked shooting it more than my square trigger guard Super.

DSCN1922.jpg

DSCN1921.jpg

GAR700

Beautiful....
What is the cost associated with having a SBH barrel cut down? I like the look and it seems like it would make my pistol a little easier to handle.
GAR

mhblaw

I am currently having Hamilton Bowen of Bowen Classic Arms converting my OMSBH as follows: shorten barrel to 5.5", new front sight, Bowen rough country rear sight, trigger tune, case harden frame and blue the rest. Then a set of grips from Cary Chapman and will be a thing of beauty...and a good shooter as well.

longranger

Gunkwazy,

Be careful with your pictures, someone will use them in their g.b.sale.:eek:
Gorgeous Ruger who made the stocks?
As always your revolvers and pictures are stunning.

GUNKWAZY

Thanks.
Altamont made the grips.
It took me a while to find a set I thought were fitting to the gun.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

bamaranger

Skeeters revolver

Saw an article recently (it may have been in an old back issue) of a Ruger SA revolver that Skeeter SKELTON had customized.

He'd added a steel ejector rod housing, nicely blued, polished the aluminum grip and frame area to silver, natural metal, and added a set of traditional walnut grips. The result was a very good looking SA.

You scratch the anodized rod housing, or the grip/frame, on an aluminum Ruger, and it stays scratched. Skeeters polishing, looked good, and eliminated a source of eye sore and aggravation on Ruger blued SA's.

mnhntr

here is one I found on the internet looking for ideas to customize my SB 4 5/8

Attachments

• ruger.jpg
    ruger.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 115

GUNKWAZY

I wanna see a link to that...

It's been done a couple times before. That's why it was brought up.
People have used my pictures to sell their guns.
The guns are actually in my safe. So I know that they don't own the one's they are trying to sell.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Charger Fan

I wanna see a link to that...
Here's a link for ya. The bottom pic is my gun, on my back fence...the top two are the seller's pics.:mad:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/54313

Luckily, I've only seen one of my pics being used so far. It doesn't really bother me, other than the fact that a buyer may be getting something that has been misrepresented.

Great looking pics you guys, keep 'em coming.:) D-Ric902, I love the contrasting polish job they did on your gun!

t45

You guys have made me want my New Model Blackhawk in 44mag back. I have allways regretted selling it.