Customization for my Mossberg 590A1 BOOMSTICK!!!

melglock

I just picked up my brand new Mossberg last Saturday, and went out to the Pawnee Grasslands to test it out. Works just fine, but I'm finding that the stock is too long for me. I have to reach a bit for my right hand to reach the trigger, and my left hand can barely reach the slide. Additional problems: I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, my left arm was seriously screwed up from a fracture when I was a kid - it's 1 inch shorter than my right arm and I can't turn that hand palm up.

I'll probably need a new stock that's an inch or two shorter than the factory stock, and I'm thinking of getting one with both the shoulder stock & a pistol grip. I'm also considering a pistol gripped slide.

Any ideas on where I should look without spending too much money?

bruels

Mine with a Speed Feed stock was too long too. I removed the butt padd, wrapped inch and 1/2 masking around the bottom of the stock flush with the end, and sawed it off with a hacksaw, being very careful to follow the edge of the masking on both sides of the stock. There was still material remaining to attach the butt pad with the screws. I had to drill the screw holes a bit deeper so they would thread easily.

I lost storage capacity in the speed feed, but it still takes one shell on each side. The butt pad was larger than the stock, but I decided to leave it rather than find a smaller butt pad because the larger pad gives more contact to my shoulder.

I demonstrated it when I was teaching firearms to the department's deputies. Most really liked it because they could mount the gun over winter clothing and the bullet resistant vest. It is probably too short a pull by classical measurement standards, but it is handy and quick to mount.

Lightsped

I have the same problem with my 590A1's stock. It is about a inch too long for me. I'd rathjer just buy a shorter factory style stock than to do any cutting. Anyone know of any factory style shorter stocks for the 590A1?

swampgator

Later today when I get home I'll post something Dave McC sent me via email ref stock fit. His suggestion was to fit the stock to the person by cutting it down, don't know if you would mess up the screw holes in the stock though.

swampgator

As promised

Here's what Dave sent me last year regarding adjusting the stock length. This particular stock was wood so the adjustments might not work on plastic:

W/o changing the pitch, cut a stock using the old crook of elbow to base of trigger finger and mount a nice pad. Remember, the shorter the stock the smaller the recoil pad gets, so leave as much pad as you can to spread out the kick. And while you've got the pad off, add a couple of ounces of weight under the pad to move things back a little on balance and add some weight.

If you have any further I'm sure Dave will be happy to assist.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Stayed out of this'un till now, but...

First, "Serious" shotguns are handled more like rifles, where 12" LOPs are not uncommon. All else equal, I'd want a 13 1/2" stock on a "Serious" shotgun, maybe 15" on a recreational tool. But I'm a behemoth.

And, a stock that's a bit short is better than one that's a bit long,IMO.

Melglock, in your shoes I'd shoot LH. Dominant eye is on the left, longer arm is on the right. And, with a Mossie, there's no prob with the safety.

As for a full stock with PGs for and aft, I see little advantage or drawback. Save your money and work with a properly fitted standard stock. A PG only stock is a bad move, unless all your possible opponents are fans of Miami Vice. These things work well on TV, and not in real life.

HTH...

swampgator

Dave

If all the guys with PGs on shot guns stopped shaving and wearing socks, they possibly could start a retro trend! :D