Customer service contacts at Colt?

tackdriver

To be brief, I am having some serious customer service issues with Colt. I had a brand new pistol back to them once and it just came back in worse condition than what I sent it in.

A survey of other 1911 forums has shown I am far from being alone here.

I talked to one of their customer service reps on the phone last week and they are going to send another return shipping tag. Having stewed about it over the weekend, though, I think someone up the food chain needs to know about this. And I need to be reassured this is the last time the gun is going to have to go back.

Colt's website is horribly devoid of corporate contact information. I have the president and CEO's information, but the guy (Ret. Lt. Gen. William Keys) lives in Virginia, not in Hartford or anywhere close enough to have me believe he takes any active role in the company.

I suppose I could wait until Monday to call customer service back to get some contact information, but I'm impatient. If anyone has any other ideas or knows of contacts there, please pass them along.

Thanks!

KyJim

A survey of other 1911 forums has shown I am far from being alone here.
I'm surprised at this as Colt has a reputation for excellent customer service. I took just a quick look at two of the larger 1911 sites and didn't see any groundswell of complaints. Can you link to any? Keep in mind that a couple of dissatisfied customers with loud voices can sound like a lot.

BTW, what is the nature of your problem and how did it get worse after it went to Colt?

orionengnr

I had troubles with two of the three Colt 1911s I have owned. Of all the calls I made, I seldom got a real person, and when I did, they were not terribly interested in doing anything at all.

I eventually gave up on Colt. In fairness, this was about three years ago; I have no idea what they are up to these days (nor do I care). They had three chances.

I have had far better results from Springfield and S&W CS. Hell, even Kel-Tec was willing to send me parts....

michael t

I have to agree with KyJim Colt has good customer service almost never hear of a problem Every time I have called always been more than helpfull.
What is the problem with your Colt.

tackdriver

I bought an O1918. There are two posts 1911forum from guys who got theirs with the serrations backwards and two more people who, like me, sent theirs back and they came back with problems.

I bought mine new in late April. The finish on the thumb safety was actually flaking (how, I don't know). I bought it anyway, figuring it was going to have to be replaced in the recall. It turns out that it had already been in for the recall from the distributor.

Anyway, I sent it back, and also asked them to check to see if the slide/frame fit was in spec since there was a sizeable gap in the front that you could see the recoil spring through. They agreed it was out of spec and replaced the thumb safety and slide.

When I got it back, I noticed the back of the slide wasn't stamped with the "H" above the firing pin plate. Instead, the metal is all boogered up.

4690698512_974846c631.jpg

While I was looking at that to see if I could live with it, I looked down the barrel. I still can't tell if the sight is only tapered on one side and it's an optical illusion or if the damn thing is crooked. Either way, it ain't right.

4690065083_4961bf4a98.jpg

And then there's this ugly index mark ahead of the rear sight

4690065991_aa8f36fe1d.jpg

That's not to mention the thumb safety is polished as compared to the brushed matte finish it's supposed to have (I can live with that) and that I sent them a new unfired pistol that came back with notable wear on the grip safety and recoil spring plunger. Running a magazine through the pistol wouldn't have created this amount of wear.

Worst of all, the new slide to frame fit is excellent.

More complaints:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=261520
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=271268
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=270489

mothermopar

Get on the coltforums for your most defnitive Colt answers from A-Z (and well beyond). I've dealt with "RJ" at Colt and he's been helpful. I just got my 1911 XSE back from Colt (had an upswept beavertail and forged thumb safety installed, plus a throat and polish job done). So far so good.

ttheel

Man I would not be happy with that. Guns are to much of an investment to have to put up with sub standard products. I am suprised that Colt would send something with all of those issues out to a customer. I would definitely not let it go.