back in the day I had this:

Picture008.jpg

Sold it a while ago and got this:

NorincoSKS006.jpg

Because tactical belongs on this:

AKM003sm.jpg

:D

straightpull

Free-floated the barrel and glass-bedded bellow the sights. Fabricated a piece of metal to catch the bottom of the sights where the original mag bill was attached. Drilled for screw. Another fabricated metal in front of mag to catch the shortened bill of high capacity mag and act as washer for the screw that hold the barrel and action to the stock. Space in between was filled with oak (Made in USA). Tapco gas piston, Tapco operating rod, USA made oak handguard, Detroit made magazine, floorplace and follower. Still on-going.

Attachments

• DSCN3065.JPG
    DSCN3065.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN3067.JPG
    DSCN3067.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 240

Wildalaska

You get cool points, together with creativity ribbons...

Despite the fact you butchered an SKS :)

WildsobaditssogoodAlaska TM

straightpull

I know I commited a sin or something:rolleyes: but I need a reliable high-cap rifle in this caliber for cheaps. I have 4 of them, three are in new condition. This one was out of luck. I guess I was lucky to have liked SKS five or so years ago when ammo and rifle were cheap.:)

Wildalaska

Dude don't take offense, after having seen a lifetime of Tapco/CTD SKSs, yours is a breath of fresh air ;)

Make sure it works right.

WildgoodjobAlaska TM

straightpull

No offense taken. I saw the smiley on your post:). I'll take the creativity ribbon. It works great and I only shoot handloads on it which gives better accuracy than milsurps.

pesta2

I put on a fixed 20 round magazine and stripped off that god awful Chinese orange finish. It that custom enough?

attachment.php

Last edited:

Hedley

Here's Pesta's pigmy twin(complete with awful Chinese orange):
backup035si0.jpg

It once was a "custom" when I bought it though. Nothing cheesier than a Tapco stock.

pesta2

Here's Pesta's pigmy twin(complete with awful Chinese orange):

Hedley, that orange is actually nice looking. Mine had this orange that was almost like paint and more red to it, looked like a monkey applied it. There is an area in the stock that had some filler put in the same color that is still there.

More like this because but a little more orange, my wood was really ruff. I wish I would have taken a photo of it but that had to be back around 1991.

http://www.gbverrina.net/sito/exordinanza.alfabeto/SKSCina.htm

DMK

Most of my SKS are in original condition, but here's couple that I customized slightly:

sporter.jpg

Norinco SKS-M / SKS Sporter (takes AK mags). I hated the butthole stock it came with, so I put the original away and dropped it in a modified fiberglass "Jungle stock" given a rough "grippy" surface and painted black with Alumahyde II. The front sight was canted a bit too, so I put a windage adjustable Tech Sight on it. The front sight post was replaced with a fiber optic Williams Firesight. Really fun to shoot now.

para.jpg

This Norinco Para also got a "Jungle stock" painted with Alumahyde II and Tech Sights. It's original stock is also safely boxed up and stored.

Yugos.JPG

The Yugo 59/66 on top has the GL removed and a Cetme Flash suppressor modified into a thread protector. The bottom Yugo 59 had a cracked stock (gunsmith special), so I put it in another Jungle stock.

bmw2

Where did you guys get those 20rd fixed mags? Do they feed reliably and are stripper clips available for the 20rd fixed mags?

bmw2

Thanks DMK, I've seen the detachables but I've read so many posts about the detachable mags haveing feed problems that I hesitate to go that route. If anyone can recomend a removable mag that they haven't had any issues with, that would be great.

lon371

Oh my goodness!

Oh my goodness
What are the purest going to say if they come across these pics:eek:

Nice job guys! I have a yugo stripped down at this moment. WAS putting a folder on it and a scope(its my boys). But he seen one at the gun show:barf: I think he is growing up? He actually decided my refinshed Mosin wood looks better. So we are going to redo the wood finish. I am ordering the spring kit and smoothing the trigger group.

NCLivingBrit

Well, as I'm a sinner of the worst sort, here's my Bubba Yugos:

59/66 Tapco cut down to a 16.5" barrel and modified Hi-Point front sight with a Tech-Sights TS200 rear, rails and a cheapy laser I forgot was on there before I took the pic. This was my very first project rifle and it turned out fine if you like Tacticool :) Fully 922r compliant.

Bubtical-FinalIncarnation.jpg

Another 59/66 Yugo, this one cut down to around 18" in an ATI Monte Carlo stock (the only ATI stock I've had I didn't ditch). The front sight block has been removed and a set-screw muzzle brake added (mostly to protect the crown, it doesn't do much). I added a Choate scope mount (drilled/tapped to the receiver) and a cheapy shell deflector (was to be replaced with a mounted one, but I'm selling the rifle). As this was a Tactical Deer Rifle for hunting down Al-Queda whitetails it only has a 5rd Tapco mag, but the bolt has been modified to allow mag changes with the bolt closed and it takes the Tapco 20's fine. A Leaper bipod and 4x scope round out the Tacticoolness of it all.

HuntSKSFinal-Right.jpg