Custom rifle 6.5-06.

hooligan1

I'm having an old Turkish mauser action reborn as a 6.5-06.
1.1-8" twist, 24" +muzzlebrake, fluted, Douglas #5 XX, airguaged, Premium barrel.
2.Action squared and trued, lugs lapped.
3.Bolt handle reforged.
4.Drilled and tapped for Leupold "onepiece" base.
5.Black parkerized...

Im gonna use this rifle for long range predator, deer and antelope and target shooting for around 500 to 700 yards....
As soon as it returns I will try to download pictures.

hammie

@hooligan: Your future rifle sounds great. I'm excited about it, and it won't even be mine! Be sure to post pictures later.

I've always liked and wanted a 6.5-'06. I wish someone would commercialize it and chamber for it. Although, that may not be likely because long action cartridges seem to be out of fashion just now.

BIG P

Sounds like a cool build,can't wait to see it & maybe a group or two if you get time.I'm in process of a 25-06 AI build myself.hope it all works great for Ya.PICS,PICS,PICS.:D;)

reynolds357

If a 6.5-06 shoots "flat as a string out to 400", maybe I ought to switch to it; because my .264 Win. Mag. dang sure won't shoot "flat as a string out to 400".:rolleyes:

hammie

@reynolds: I never disagree with scorch. I think it depends on how tight you stretch the string. (LOL)

hooligan1

Scorch I'm hoping to glean good accracy to 500, and it'll test me as well.
If my loading prowess holds any value I will find the sweet spot and hit my goal of 700 yds.
Thanks for replying fellas it means a lot to this Missouri man.

Txhillbilly

Sounds like a nice rifle. I really enjoy the 6.5-06 that I built a few months ago,and can't wait for hunting season this year.
I've got it shooting in the .3's at 100 so far working up some 140 gr Hornady BTHP and Berger VLD Hunting bullet loads,and have shot a couple 1.5" groups at 500 with it.
It doesn't shoot as well as the 6.5 Creedmoor that I built,but I haven't played with it as much either.

GeauxTide

You'll love the 6.5-06

Have enjoyed mine up to the time I got a 260, but that's another story. Mine is a 24" Sporter with a Shaw barrel. Shoots cloverleaves with boring regularity. When I had it built in the 80s, H4831 was the ticket. The new powders ought to make it sizzle.

tobnpr

Excellent choice for your project!

I generally think the advantages (100 fps or so with a 140) over the .260 are mostly marginal, but given that you have the action already it's a great move.

When I finish the Mosin project I'm on, I have a K98 action that I wanted to true up and re-barrel, and was thinking a short-chambered .270 for the D.I.Y. project- but the 6.5 wildcat sounds intriguing.

Any brass available commercially for this?

hooligan1

Tobnpr, I havent seen any commercial brass. I'm starting with .270 winchester brass(brand new) and neckin it down..
I sized fifty new pieces and now have to trim almost .020 off it but it sized super easy.
I figured it was easier on brass life to neck down than to neck up

mete

After lapping the lugs was there any carburized material left ? I would always recommend the receiver be rehardened .

taylorce1

It's a simple one pass process to neck up .25-06 brass, and it doesn't require any neck turning. It's what I used with my 6.5-06 I had. There is commercial brass available if you need properly stamped brass, it cost about $2 a piece from Quality Cartridge. Midwa carries it and the head stamp will read 6.5-06 A - Square since they are the ones who got SAAMI to standardize the round.

Hooligan1 I'll get you email sometime today.

hooligan1

Got your email Taylorce1, and I got a call from Dave from ITnD Gunsmithing and its ready for parkerizing, next week, he asked if I wanted bolt and scope base parked, of course I said yes....anyway should be getting final bill for services in a week or so.
HELL YEAH!!!

emcon5

It's a simple one pass process to neck up .25-06 brass, and it doesn't require any neck turning. It's what I used with my 6.5-06 I had. There is commercial brass available if you need properly stamped brass, it cost about $2 a piece from Quality Cartridge. Midwa carries it and the head stamp will read 6.5-06 A - Square since they are the ones who got SAAMI to standardize the round.

This.

I made the mistake of getting some .270 cases, thinking I would just need to neck size them and discovered they needed trimming for OAL as well.

.25-06 is just a simple neck size and you are done.

On edit: Speaking of which, I have a bag of them in the garage, I wanted more brass, and bought .25-06 to replace them, and retired the 270 based to keep the cases consistent. They are once fired, and may work in your rifle with just a neck size. There are only ~70 in the bag, which is irritating, because it means there is another bag in the garage somewhere with the other ~30 in it, I know I bought 100 cases.

If you want them, you can have them for the cost of shipping, send me a PM.

Last edited:

GeauxTide

Me, too

I started with 30-06 cases, but ended up using 25-06 to avoid mixing 30 cal rounds with 26 cal. 270 are definitely too long.

reynolds357

Trimming is an easy process. I have always used .270 because .270 brass is free. I never find any .25-06. People leave .270 at the range and usually put all 20 pieces in the box and leave the boxes on the bench by the trash can.

Txhillbilly

I mainly use 270 brass as well as 30/06 brass for my 6.5-06. I still shoot my 25/06,so I don't resize it to keep from getting any mixed up.

270 is easy to trim to length with a trim die.