Custom lee 6 cavity mold

snuffy

This is a group buy from over on the cast boolits forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

The designation for this mold is 462420 PB , meaning nominal as cast size is .462 but will cast at 405 grains with wheel weight lead. These in this thread cast at 415 and .4625, because I used reclaimed spent .22 rimfire lead. It's heavier and softer.

P4260021.JPG

P4260022.JPG

P4260023.JPG

Dipped in LLA,(lee liquid allox), set on cardboard, then put in 150 degree oven for 1.5 hrs. Drys them as dry as they'll ever get.

P4260025.JPG

New nickel starline cases, 23.0 IMR 4759, WLR. Starting load for 420 lead in Marlin rifles,(lyman cast boolit handbook). Will be fired in my H&R buffalo classic.

P4260026.JPG

Lead was re-claimed .22 rimfire lead, with 1% tin added. Without the tin, fillout was near impossible. Now If I can get the boolits to drop better, I'll be a happy camper. I ladle cast these, it's a pain to just cast ONE cavity! I use the contact method, to allow the lead in the ladle to provide head pressure for better fillout. Then separate to form a sprue puddle, that's when it becomes a problem to prevent the sprue from flowing over to the next cavity!:(

snuffy

Dipping is tedious work, but it keeps the LLA off the noses. Also sitting on the cardboard keeps the base clean. I wiped off the little that was scraped off by the case mouth as the boolit was seated. BTW those are crimped with a lee FCD and loaded on a classic turret.

lee n. field

I'll have to try that next batch. My tumbled .40S&W get lube on the case if I'm not careful, and then don't chamber reliably.

Adequate case flare reduces lube stripping, and I find that sprinkling motor mica on while the liquid Alox is still a bit tacky helps with handling and sticking to the seater. I cast and shoot Tumble Lube wadcutters, which precludes dipping.

If you do much cast bullet making, Yahoo! (rather than Google, since Google has anti-gun policies) on White Label Lube. They sell their Xlox lube for $10 a quart. It is the same thing as Lee liquid Alox, purchased from the same manufacturer in 55 gallon drums. You just pay less for the relatively unknown brand and you're not paying for the separate small bottles.

snuffy

Unclenick, I did increase the flare a bit, since I was loading them as-cast, unsized. I also inside chamfered them. Since the lube was coating the driving bands, I knew it would be pushed forward. I suspect some of it ended up in the crimp groove. Or it got pushed into the lube grooves.

I had heard of Xlox lube before. But I have numerous bottles of LLA around, they came in with the many lee push-through sizers I have. If I ever use that up, I will get a quart of the Xlox. I also just got some rooster jacket. I dipped a few boolits in it, but it dries clear. It doesn't seem to leave much of a film. Since it is water based, I may try some food coloring in it to make it look like it's actually there!

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

I used ask.com. I've heard yahoo is anti gun also.