Custom HD Shotgun

scorpion_tyr

I'm planning on putting together an ultimate home defense shotgun that would fit my preferences just perfect. It may also have future use as a law enforcement or security tool. I don't have very much experience with this sort of thing so I have a lot of questions before I get started so I don't waste my time or my money. Hopefully it's more tactical than tacticool. Here's what I want to put together:

Remington 870 Super Magnum 12 gauge
18" Barrel with fixed cylinder choke
Black synthetic Shurshot stock and fore-end
7 shot extension
Sling Swivels
Some kind of night or low light three dot or similar sights
Flashlight/Laser holder on the fore-end
6-shell holder attached to reciever or stock

Heres my questions:
1. Does the 7 shot extension hold 7 shots of 3''? (I saw a site that said yes)
2. How many rounds of 3 1/2'' would the 7 shot extention hold?
3. Does anyone know of a site/place where I can get all of this or anyone who custom builds stuff like this? (I'd like to do it all myself, but if it saves me money I'd have it built)
4. Can I do this all myself or will I need a gunsmith?
5. Does anyone see any compatibility issues?
6. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

L-2

With the 18" barrel and two-shot extension, the 870 shotgun will then hold six 2 3/4" shells in the mag tube (+1 in the chamber, giving a total of seven rounds in the gun).

Should you build instead of buying another's idea of a good combat shotgun, then I'd recommend starting with something like this:
smsil_870expsyn7.jpg

as there can be difficulties in obtaining a matching magazine extension, as well as modifying the existing mag tube (removing dimples) from a shotgun which did not originally come with a mag extension.

For reference, a Wilson Combat modified 870 can currently go for $1275. Many people modify their own 870 a bit cheaper to their liking. I'm not criticizing the Wilson Combat products as there are some people who don't want to deal with putting together their own shotgun with accessories.

02.jpg

(shown is a Wilson standard model with unknown finish.)

Perhaps lastly, consider what type of sights you'll want to have. If it'll be the ghost-ring type, the additional cost of having these put on, & possibly having the barrel refinished, starts to get expensive.

Last edited:

Slopemeno

3.5"?- go the other way, with the reduced recoil 2.75" bucksot. It patterns better, and is *plenty* powerful. I'll pass on a sling indoors, however I will admit to having used a TEAM sling in the past. Less is more when it comes to HD shotguns, IMHO.

+1 on the light though.

nemoaz

I wouldn't touch anything from ATI. Everything I've purchased (folding stock and a synthetic foregrip) has been crap.

jhgreasemonkey

Keep it simple. You dont want a lot of crazy add ons that look cool bulking up your shotgun and getting in the way. A mossberg 590A1 (what the military is using) or remington 870 police would be an ideal setup for you. You could always add a light. Also keep in mind that 3.5" shells are not needed or recommended for hd. Military and LE both use 2 3/4" 00 buck. The 590A1 has a 9 shot capacity.