Custom carry revolvers...

Erik

You hear a lot about customized carry semi-autos, so tell me about your custom carry revolvers for a change.

:)

WESHOOT2

Since my carry wheels are Rugers they don't need custom work.
All wear Pachmayr Decelerators and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades.
Done.

mtnbkr

My CCW gun is a S&W 36 (early 60s vintage). It came from the previous owner with a set of beautifully aged stag grips. I have since added a Tyler T-Grip, lighter springs, and a bobbed hammer. While I had the gun apart to install the springs and hammer, I did a trigger job. The gun shoots great and pops the primer every time even with the lighter springs and bobbed hammer. Carry Load: 158gr LSWCHP +P

My "woods carry" gun (hunting/camping/backpacking) is a Ruger GP100 (4" SS) that has had the following: lighter springs, Firesights, trigger job, Hogue Monogrip, Taylor Throat, recrown, 11 degree forcing cone.
Carry/target load: 180gr Semi-Jacketed HP with 14gr H110. Yes, that's my target load as well. It's the most accurate load I've found for that gun.

Chris

ellsworthtoohey

K-Frame! That is one nice gun!

All of my carry playpretties are S&W J- & K-frames with the exception of one Taurus model 85 stainless. The only custom work I require are good replacement grips (Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek), and the removal of hammer spurs on the guns that come with them.

I prfer to spend my money in the quest for the perfect concealment holster, and ammo & reloading components.

sw627pc

The only change I made on my carry gun was the stocks, Eagle Secret Service in replacement for the Hogue Rosewood that the factory shipped. Hogue's don't fit my hands right (my fingers and their grooves don't match very well) and they are a bit overly long for a CCW gun. The rest of the gun is stock (if you consider a Performance Center 627 a stock gun).

denfoote

My custom revolver starts with a stock Taurus M605. To date, I have had the barrel ported, the red insert installed on the front sight, and have purchased Hogue rosewood boot grips. This is all I have had the money to do so far. I plan to have a trigger job done sometime. The project continues... :)

Swamp Yankee

The revolver I carry the most is also the gun I carry 90% of the time. A Colt Cobra, with a tuned action and trigger. The factory grips have been replaced by smooth Rosewood Eagle Secret Service grips.

I picked up a Colt Magnum Carry in Sept. which may replace the little Cobra if I can get used to the additional weight. If it does become a carry piece it will undoubtably undergo the same mods as the Cobra.

Ronin 99

I'm going to to be buying my first revolver soon and since I wanted something outstanding,I've pretty much decided on a S&W PC 627. Am I making a mistake? Should I be looking at Rugers instead?
Ronin

M

M58

My all time favorite is the Bodyguard model, currently 649. But I have been partial to the 3" models: 13,65,60 and currently a 66. They seem to give the best of the 2" and 4"
IMHO

Jhp147

HEY, K-FRAME!

Your e-dress isn't up here so I'll ask on the board, got some questions about that M-10 you did. You mentioned that "we" do some of the type of work done, the round butt conversion, I think. How much does "we" charge to make a similar gun? Would it be cheaper to buy a 3 inch 13 if I can find a used one? To me, that is exactly what a carry revolver should look like. I was thinking of finding one of the new M-66 3 inchers with Hi-Viz sights, but I really like that dull blue a lot, and it might be cheaper than the new 66. So....where can I find a used HB 10? I can only find the standard bbls. at J&G.

sw627pc

Ronin,

A couple of points, the 627PC is going to cost more (maybe a LOT more than the Ruger). It is going to get a lot more attention at the range as well. That seventh and eighth round DO get noticed by other shooters. The N frame is a BIG gun, bigger than the K and L frame S&W guns. Bigger than a GP100. And that means HEAVIER as well. Make sure you like it. That being said I LOVE mine, enough to make it my standard carry gun (and getting an IWB holster for a five inch N frame wasn't all that easy!) If you do any type of shooting that requires rapid reloads and want a revolver, the moon clip system is the way to go (it is a bit bulky for carry, although no worse than conventional speedloaders).

I admit to being prejudiced. I adore five inch N frames. Like the rest of them as well. Currently have three five inchers (625-5 Classic, 627PC, and 544) as well as two six inchers (27-2 and 29-3). Unfortunately S&W never did a M57 in a five inch.

Ronin 99

sw627pc
I ran 50rds thru a 6inch 686 a couple of months ago and I believe the PC 627 is about 3 to 5 oz. heavier. Usually shoot 1911's (70 Series Gold Cup and a Les Baer Premier II)but I feel no collection is complete without a .357 magnum. Figure if I'm going to buy one I may as well get the best I can,wihin reason of course. My next,after the 627,will be a Wilson Protector so the Smith at about $1000 doesn't seem all that expensive.:) Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Information from an experienced shooter like yourself is priceless.
Ronin

sw627pc

Haven't weighed them, but sitting in the hand the five inch 627PC (the one with the "sculpted" barrel) feels lighter than the six inch full lug 686. They are pretty close to the same. My old M27-2 with a six inch "skinny" barrel (short lug) is a tad bit heavier, but not all that much. (I suspect the extra weight in the cylinder is the major difference between the six and eight shot guns).

riddleofsteel

Custom Weigland "Tame the Beast" conversion of the SP101.
DAO SP101 .357 mag with hybraport barrel, action polished and smoothed, all pin heads and trigger polished to a mirror finish. Houge cocobolo monogrip.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1434554&a=10752965&p=37024125

Ruger Speed Six, .357 mag, bead blasted satin finish, hammer bobbed but single action fire still possible, Wolff reduced power main and trigger return spring, internal pins and surfaces polished and smoothed (DA trigger is as smooth as warm butter), Eagle rosewood Secret Service grip with silver wire inlay.

[Edited by riddleofsteel on 01-04-2001 at 12:02 AM]

Kframe

Jhp147,
I used to work for a gun shop at the time.
They still do round-butting and other custom work.
Round-butting costs about $40, and if it is a blued gun you need to have it reblued.
So, I first beadblasted the gun (which would cost a customer another $20) and then sent it thru bluing (which would cost you about $50).

I found this used police-trade-in 4" HB M10 in the Gunlist, or was it Shotgun News.
Anyway, they are out there if you look around.

I could've bought a replacement 3" barrel from brownells, but I didn't want to spend any more on parts.
Since the labor was free (I was doing all the work) I didn't mind finding another option.
So, I recut and crowned the barrel (customer cost $40).
That would be serviceable enough, but I didn't like that the barrel said "th & Wesson" on one side, and ".38 S&W Speci" on the other.
That's why I decided to slabside the barrel (which would probably be a $100 for a customer).

I think that a better option for most would be to buy a 3-4" M10 or M13, go with the roundbutting, and maybe trade-in the cost of the 4" barrel on a 3".
Then, beadblast and reblue.

:)

-Kframe

mikey357

My "Favorite" Custom Carry Revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 625, Model of 1988, .45 ACP, five-inch barrel. Originally a REAL DOG[worst action I had EVER felt on an N-frame], it has been tenderly "massaged" by Lou Ciamillo of Maryland Gun Works until it has the BEST action of any no-PPC-gun N-frame I've ever handled...even better than my 627 PC V-Comp! A masterful piece of gunsmithing! Carried in a Kramer horsehide scabbard, it is my "cool/cold weather" piece...and the full-moon clips make for "wicked-fast" reloads!!!....mikey357

Kframe

ellsworthtoohey, for IWB appendix carry I use an Uncle Mike's neoprene sidekick holster.

For behind the hip, on the belt, I have a belt slide holster with no hammer strap.

-Kframe