Custom 1911 - Is this a problem?

mes228

I just received my new Custom 1911, built from the ground up with every part specified by me. I haven't fired it yet but the Smith has. Test target is 5 rounds, 3 through the same hole with 2 flyers (1 1/2 inch at 25 yds. group, hand held across a sand bag). On inspecting the pistol I noticed the slide (caspian) over hangs the frame (caspian). Instead of "smoothe" there's a "step" perhaps half the thickness of a penny. As if the slide is not in "battery" but it is. Is this a problem? Should I complain?

Chui

The barrel isn't properly fitted. Send it back. He'll understand. It could be the barrel link or it could be the lugs. Usually this occurs when trying to extract the "ultimate" accuracy out of a gun.

I've seen this on two Springfield TRPs (one Pro and one 'regular'). One was mine after requesting a new barrel on a slightly used one. I simply took it to my 'smith who makes minor changes to the grip safeties on mine anyway so I didn't say anything to SA.

pinotguy

I just received my new Custom 1911, built from the ground up with every part specified by me. I haven't fired it yet but the Smith has. Test target is 5 rounds, 3 through the same hole with 2 flyers (1 1/2 inch at 25 yds. group, hand held across a sand bag). On inspecting the pistol I noticed the slide (caspian) over hangs the frame (caspian). Instead of "smoothe" there's a "step" perhaps half the thickness of a penny. As if the slide is not in "battery" but it is. Is this a problem? Should I complain?

I experienced this problem but this was due to the fact that it was a CCO so the slide and frame were of different sizes and dimensions. It's an easy problem for your 'smith to correct. In the grand scheme of things, it probably wouldn't affect accuracy or functioning - just appearance, which is important too.