custom 1911 build ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachkuby87

So I want a nice 1911 really bad I've been searching for deals locally and through the internet and I haven't really found anything other than 1,000 + dollar guns. Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding you can customize a 1911 just like say an ar? So now this has started a new search for a cheap base 1911 that I can turn into a project gun. Any recomendations? I'm not exactly looking to save money by going this route I just think it would be cool to have a gun filled with parts of my choosing. Now if this will cost me way more than just buying a nice 1911 ill just save up the money and buy one. Basically I'm looking for you guys thoughts on the subject. Also it would be awesome if someone who has gone this route could share their experiences/results. Thanks guys

BarryLee

I have not been through this process, but I am planning to or at least planning to have someone do this for me. I have chosen to start with a Springfield Armory GI model and plan to have it customized as time goes by.

A few observations:

It probably untimely will be more expensive, so unless you just want the experience you might want to buy one.

Yes, parts are readily available, but friends have told me that 1911 parts can be difficult to fit and may require tweaking. So, utilizing a gunsmith is probably a good idea unless you feel confident in your abilities or simply want to learn by doing.

Bad idea.

There are inexpensive 1911s out there. Typically, they are made in the Philippines. From the factory they tend to work well and provide excellent value, but IMHO they are not a good base for swapping out parts, because the tolerances may be off just enough that standard 1911 parts won't fit without a lot of tweaking. Plus, once you spend $500 for a base pistol, then throw away all the internals and buy new parts from "name" sources, you're right back to the $1000 price point (if not above). Except that you still have a slide and frame that may or may not be to spec. You can buy a new Colt with a forged slide and frame and fewer MIM parts than any other mass producer for well under $1000.

You do the math.

zachkuby87

Yea I'm not exactly lookingto build from scratch so to speak more like I'm gonna buy a working 1911 and fit it with nicer parts until I end up with a really nice gun that works really well. I'm not trying to save money here by any means but if its going to be a 4-5k project ill just buy one instead. And as far as the entire tolerances problems that's why I'm asking for suggestion for a good base I'm not going to be the assclown that goes out and buys a junk 3rd world built in a sweatshop gun to start with. I want a nice 1911 that is one of a kind so to speak. I just think if I'm gonna spend upwards of 1000 dollars for a gun it might as well be a gun I can take some pride in.

Last edited:

dajowi

I've always found the easiest way to get the "gun that I've always wanted" is to buy the closest approximation, (model/manufacturer) and then add or delete whatever features I wanted. It could be night sights or checkering or refinishing. The most common change is new grips. It's a given that any work that's done is going to be completed by a competent gunsmith, not me banging around in my shop.

Now if I wanted something really special, i.e. expensive I'd buy a Nighthawk Custom. But I'm not going to pay $3,000 for a pistol which won't shoot any better or more accurately than a couple I already have.

zachkuby87

Yeah it seems like that's the best route to take after crunchin a bunch of numbers and asking around. I'm gonna find a decent mid level 1911 and go from there thanks a lot though guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.