Current Ruger Quality Surpassed S&W

EdInk

Does anyone else feel that on current production guns, Ruger quality is now superior to Smith & Wesson?

Venom1956

how do you define quality? My older rugers are far nicer then my newer ones... Ruger has been using MIM hammers and triggers. Many here frown upon that despite it probably not mattering in the slightest.

That said the operating mechanics of both their double action revolvers are vastly different thus hard to compare. They both are fine examples of american made guns. It just comes down to what you want and/or what you can afford.

laytonj1

Does anyone else feel that on current production guns, Ruger quality is now superior to Smith & Wesson?
No.
But their prices have caught up with S&W. Just looked at a new Redhawk, $900 plus tax....

Jim

Last edited:

Dave T

Of the current production guns turned out by both (thinking of revolvers and mostly DAs) the QC of both companies has declined. I believe they are both pushing products out the door without regard to much QC if any at all.

Since Smith started at a higher level it might be argued that they are still a notch above Rugers even though both have declined. Then again it may be subjective. I have a real problem with S&Ws two piece barrels and have seen photos of examples that have separated or come loose. Ruger hasn't stooped that low so in terms of brute strength they might be ahead.

Then again I have seen some reports of some really crappy Rugers, for example guns that won't chamber the cartridge they are intended to use.

Sad to say, in this day and age most everything is crap...or at least nothing like it used to be. YMMV!

Dave

skidder

I agree with Dave T. The older ones are far better.

I've had 3 defective Rugers in the last 5 months:

In January I sent in a brand new LCR with 3 defects. Ruger called and said it was "beyond repair". Ruger sent me a new one with 2 defects. I sent that one in and they responded again with "beyond repair". They wanted to send me a third, but I asked for an SP101 22. They agreed and sent me a new SP101 22. The gun functioned properly, but all 8 cylinder notches were chipped :confused:. There was no way I was going to wait another 5 weeks for what appeared to be cosmetic.

Ruger was real polite and friendly and I appreciate them accepting my request. I just don't see how they can make money by sending defective replacements and 2 prepaid shipping labels. IMO getting it right the first time is still the best formula.

It really saddens me to see them going this route :(. I'm a big time Ruger fan so I'm still hoping they will return to the old Bill Ruger way of operation.

Old_Dog

Me, me. I feel that way. Call on me. Sorry I thought I was in school again. I believe it so much that I sold off all my S&W revolvers and replaced them with Rugers. The last few S&W I bought looked like used guns. For the money they charge I really expect more than a brushed steel frame that is not even polished a little. I actually asked the gun store owner if they were used guns because they looked dirty and not like new guns.

These days if you want a nice S&W you have to buy one of their performance shop guns at ridiculously high prices. Even then they mostly cannot handle the hot loads like a Ruger can. This is my favorite Ruger:

ruger_1752.jpg

FrankenMauser

No.
But their prices have caught up with S&W. Just looked at a new Redhawk, $900 plus tax...
So, buy an old one and send it back to Ruger. If it is suffering from genuine wear (not abuse), but is in poor condition, you'll get back what is essentially a brand new handgun.

AirCool65

In general, there's the attitude in manufacturing today that says "don't make it any better than it needs to be". Time is money and as long as the product still sells, there's no need to make it "better".

You can't compare today's firearms with the ones made by real craftsmen like S&W used to have.

18DAI

Yes, current Ruger quality has surpassed the current production S&W's.

Not only that, but Ruger still makes GOOD LOOKING revolvers with nice triggers and NO IDIOT LOCKS!

Ruger also listens to customer wants, and then makes revolvers customers desire such as the current 3 inch GP100. Unlike the current company calling itself S&W who continues to foist unwanted features and ugly designs, sold at exhorbatant prices on its remaining customers.

Good on you Ruger!! :) Regards 18DAI

deepcreek

I think they have both gone downhill in quality over the past few years.

I bought a S&W22A1 last year it is a good shooter but has a lot of plastic and many of the metal parts seen rather poor in quality.
Little disappointing but it does shoot nice groups and eats almost any kind of ammo put into it.

getting ready to give a new MarkIII a try, hope i get a good one..

Kreyzhorse

I like both, but at least as far as their revolvers go, I still think S&W has the edge in fit and finish. Both generally are still pretty well made.

jolly roger

Can't complain about my newer S&W 21 or a 642. Both fine especially the 21. Outrageously accurate. Also a Ruger 22-45 which is great with a Bushnell TRS 25 sight and a Ruger Flattop 44 Special Bisley...just lucky I guess. I saw some Colt and S&W abominations...in the late 70s and early 80s...

Dragline45

S&W fit and finish beats out Ruger IMO, and I have also yet to find a Ruger with a better trigger than a S&W. That's not to say I don't like Rugers, I own 2 currently and have owned 4 at one point. Pretty much every Ruger I have owned had sights that were off center, some so far off that I don't know how it even left the factory. Also all of my Rugers came with certain spots with rough edges or burs that benefited from some light file work, stoning, or light sanding, internal and external. Regardless of all that Ruger still puts out a great product.

S&W I bought looked like used guns. For the money they charge I really expect more than a brushed steel frame that is not even polished a little

I will agree with this completely. I have seen some horrid brushed finishes on S&W stainless revolvers that do not match the price tag. I have bought $2.00 key chains with better brushed finishes than most S&W revolvers. These days they look like a 2 year old went at the thing randomly with a scotchbrite pad. I actually started a thread about this a couple years back. The first thing I do with any stainless S&W revolver is polish the crap out of it.

Here is that thread if you want to check it out.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462273

Last edited: